Is Australia Bracing for the Aftermath of Cyclone Larry?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Australia
In summary, Cyclone Larry, a Category 5 storm with winds up to 180 mph, caused extensive damage to the eastern coast of Australia, particularly in the city of Cairns. However, no fatalities were reported and only 30 people suffered minor injuries. The damage is estimated to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, with banana plantations and the Great Barrier Reef being among the affected areas. It is unknown how many people have been directly impacted, but many are still waiting for updates on the safety of their friends and family in the region.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CAIRNS, Australia (AP) - Metal roofs littered streets, wooden houses lay in splinters and banana plantations were stripped bare after the most powerful cyclone to hit Australia in three decades lashed the country's eastern coast Monday.

Amazingly, the storm caused no reported fatalities, and only 30 people suffered minor injuries. But the damage from Cyclone Larry, a Category 5 storm with winds up to 180 mph, was expected to run into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060320/D8GFJG6O0.html

At least there were only minor injuries among the people, but it sounds like the farmers in the area have had their crops devastated...bananas and sugar cane. There was damage to the Great Barrier Reef as well.

I hope all our Australian members are safe and sound and far from this region.

Physics news on Phys.org
ACK! I forget where Alexandra is! I hope she's ok.

Alex is out west. The cyclone hit Queensland on the northeast coast around Cairns.

I have a few friends and maybe some cousins up that way. Still waiting to find out how folks are.

Astronuc said:
I have a few friends and maybe some cousins up that way. Still waiting to find out how folks are.
I hope they are all okay.

El Hombre Invisible just checked in by email. He's fine and about to head to NZ.

Last edited:

What is a cyclone?

A cyclone is a type of natural disaster in which strong winds and heavy rain rotate around a low-pressure center called the eye. Cyclones are also known as hurricanes or typhoons, depending on the region they occur in.

How often do cyclones hit Australia?

Australia experiences an average of 10-13 tropical cyclones each year, with the majority occurring between November and April in the northern regions.

What areas of Australia are most affected by cyclones?

The northern regions of Australia, including the coastlines of Western Australia, Northern Territory, and Queensland, are the most vulnerable to cyclone impacts.

How are cyclones classified?

Cyclones are classified based on their wind speed using the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Category 1 cyclones have wind speeds of 74-95 mph, while Category 5 cyclones have wind speeds of 157 mph or higher.

What are the potential impacts of a cyclone?

Cyclones can cause a range of impacts, including strong winds, heavy rain, storm surge, and flooding. These can lead to property damage, power outages, transportation disruptions, and even loss of life.

Back