Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclopse Cat

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060109/480/nyet27501091906'
    It only lived for one day.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Poor little thing. I'm surprised the mother cat didn't make a meal of it, that sometimes happens even with healthy kittens.

I've seen quite a few human fetal cyclopes preserved in formalin in my Path museum. 'Fetal monsterism' - somehow that term never got considered un-PC and replaced by some other euphemism.

4. Jan 10, 2006 #3

Mk

Poor little thing. It only lived for one day. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

But it looks really cool!! Its like an alien or something, but its still cute. :smile:

5. Jan 10, 2006 #4
    I almost thought it was an alien.

6. Jan 10, 2006 #5

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

What I find strange about the pic -
    The "eye" is significantly larger than normal kitten eyes would be at that postnatal time.
    Kittens are born with their eyes closed and do not open them for at least several days and this one supposedly only survived one day.
    The singular form of Cyclops is not spelled with an "es".

Based on this, my general impression about the picture and what I know can be easily done in Photoshop, I'm hesitant to believe it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  7. Jan 10, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah, I followed the same logic. It is associated Press, but I'll hedge my bets.

8. Jan 10, 2006 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Interestingly, the human fetal Cyclopes I've seen seemed to have eyes that were significantly larger than a normal fetal/neonatal eye. Also, the eye was exposed, the fused set of eyelids presumably not having enough reach to cover the organ.

I've not seen fetal cyclopes of other mammals, but from my memory of what human fetal monsters look like, I don't see a reason to doubt the authenticity of this image.

9. Jan 10, 2006 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It's the InterWeb, I doubt by default.

10. Jan 10, 2006 #9
    Here is another mythical cyclopscat, straight from ogrish.com:

pic1
    pic2

11. Jan 10, 2006 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

That looks very fake...

12. Jan 11, 2006 #11

Mk

Yeah, that one's fake.

13. Jan 11, 2006 #12
    I saw another article about it soewhere.

They say the the AP writer got ahold of the origianl memory card and that there are several differnt angles and a correct sequence. I guess he thinks that they are basicly unfakeable. Also, I guess the lady is preserving it in a freexer in case any scientists want to look at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?