Understanding Cyclotron Oscillations Frequency

In summary, the frequency of oscillation is the same as the frequency of the particles moving through a cyclotron, even though the voltages are switched twice in one revolution.
chad mcpeek
I am having trouble making sense of the frequency of oscillations for a cyclotron. What I don't understand is, if a the voltage difference of the two dees is switched twice ( each time the particles are about to enter them), then why is the frequency of oscillation the same as the frequency at which the particle moves through the cyclotron. To me it seems that the frequency of oscillation should be twice the frequency of the particles but obviously that is not the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the particles (say electrons) cross from the left Dee to the right, then the left Dee has to be negative and the right positive.
1/2 turn later the particles cross from the right to the left. To be accelerated, the right has to be negative and the left positive, i.e. the exact opposite.

I get that but if the dees change signs twice after one revolution of a particle then how is the frequency of oscillation of the dees the same as the frequency of the particles moving through one revolution because it seems like it would be be twice that value since the voltage switches twice in one particle revolution.

So how often do the x- and y-components of the electron's velocity vector change sign during one full period?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what the frequency of osscilation of the cyclotron is but what I thought that was referring to was the frequency at which the voltages of the dees are reversed. What I don't get is how the frequency of a particle circulating in a cyclotron is the same as the frequency of osscilation of that cyclotron (times the dees voltages are reversed per unit time) because the voltages are switched twice in the time it takes a particle to make one revolution.

1. What are cyclotron oscillations and why are they important in science?

Cyclotron oscillations refer to the circular motion of charged particles in a magnetic field. They are important in science because they can provide insights into the properties and behavior of charged particles and their interactions with magnetic fields.

2. How is the frequency of cyclotron oscillations calculated?

The frequency of cyclotron oscillations can be calculated using the formula f = qB/2πm, where f is the frequency, q is the charge of the particle, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle.

3. What factors can affect the frequency of cyclotron oscillations?

The frequency of cyclotron oscillations can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particle, and the shape and size of the magnetic field. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How are cyclotron oscillations used in scientific research?

Cyclotron oscillations are used in various fields of scientific research, such as particle accelerators, plasma physics, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). They can also be used to study the properties of materials and to analyze the composition of substances.

5. What are some practical applications of cyclotron oscillations?

Some practical applications of cyclotron oscillations include the production of medical isotopes for imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in nuclear reactors and particle accelerators for scientific research and industrial purposes. They also play a key role in technologies such as MRI and particle beam therapy.