Cyclotron Resonance: Lower Limit for Electron Scattering Time

In summary, to observe cyclotron resonance in a material placed in a magnetic field of 1 T, the lower limit of the electron scattering time is approximately 0.54 ps. This was calculated by substituting values into the equations for cyclotron frequency and minimum scattering time, with a discrepancy of 4 due to the assumption that 1/4 of a cycle is sufficient for observation.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

Calculate the lower limit of the electron scattering time in a material placed in a magnetic field of 1 T which is necessary to observe cyclotron resonance. The electron effective mass in the material
is 0.06 ##m_o## (where ##m_o## is the free electron mass).

Homework Equations

##\omega_c=\frac{eB}{0.06m_o}##
##\tau_{min}=\frac{2\pi}{\omega_c}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I basically substituted values into ##\omega_c## and then into the equation for ##\tau_c## i got ##\tau_c=2.14ps## whereas the answer says ##\tau_c=0.54ps##, have I gone wrong? or is the solution given wrong, because i have done it multiple times.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two answers differ by a factor of 4 (+-2%). I guess they took 1/4 of a cycle to be sufficient (some electrons won't scatter for 4 times the scattering time). There is no absolute limit, a shorter time just makes observations harder.

ah okay! Thankyou very much I did notice the factor of 4 difference just wasn't sure where it came from.

1. What is cyclotron resonance?

Cyclotron resonance is a phenomenon in which charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated by an oscillating electric or magnetic field and gain energy from it.

2. How does cyclotron resonance affect electron scattering time?

Cyclotron resonance can significantly decrease the electron scattering time, as the accelerated electrons are less likely to collide with other particles and lose energy.

3. What is the lower limit for electron scattering time in cyclotron resonance?

The lower limit for electron scattering time in cyclotron resonance depends on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field and the frequency of the oscillating field. In general, it can be on the order of picoseconds to nanoseconds.

4. Why is the lower limit for electron scattering time important in cyclotron resonance?

The lower limit for electron scattering time is important because it determines the efficiency and effectiveness of the cyclotron resonance process. A shorter scattering time means that more electrons can be accelerated and gain energy from the oscillating field.

5. How is cyclotron resonance used in scientific research?

Cyclotron resonance is used in a variety of research fields, such as particle physics, materials science, and medical imaging. It can be used to study the properties of materials, create high-energy particles for experiments, and produce images of the human body's internal structures.