Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cylinder area element

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to calculate power dissipated over a cylindrical surface using poynting vector -
    [tex]\oint[/tex] ExH ds

I know ds for a sphere is r^2 sin [tex]\theta[/tex] d[tex]\theta[/tex] d[tex]\phi[/tex]

But now sure what ds is for a cylinder?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends on which surface you are talking about. A closed cylinder has 3 surfaces; one curved surface and two flat circular end-caps. For the end-caps, [itex]dS=s ds d\phi[/itex]. While, for the curved surface, [itex]dS=s d\phi dz[/itex]. (Using [itex]\{s,\phi,z\}[/itex] for the cylindrical coordinates)

Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics derives the infinitesimal displacements ([itex]dl_s=ds[/itex], [itex]dl_\phi=s d\phi[/itex], [itex]dl_z=dz[/itex]) in cylindrical coordinates in section 1.4.2. And the author gives a brief discussion of how to obtain area elements from these infinitesimal displacements at the end of page 40 (3rd edition).

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Great. I am gonna go take a look at Griffith's right now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook