1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder floating

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I have an exercise and i don't understand something in the solution:
    A cylinder of diameter d floats with l of its length submerged. The total height is L. Assume no
    damping. At time t = 0 the cylinder is pushed down a distance B and released.
    What is the frequency of oscillation?

The diameter of the floating cylinder is d and it has l of its length submerged in water. The volume of water
    displaced by the submerged part of the cylinder in equilibrium condition is πd2l/4. Let the density of water be ρ
    and the density of cylinder be ρcyl. Hence the mass of the cylinder is:
    Mcyl = ρw*Vdisplaced= ρw*πd2l/4=ρcyl*πd2L/4
    Frestoringw*gπd2x/4
    Mcylx"=ρw*gπd2x/4
    w²=ρw*gπd2/4Mcyl
    w²=g/l

Why are they taking Vdisplaced=πd2l/4 Why /4 ???
    And why l is equa to 4Mcylw*πd2

Thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the formula for the area of a circle expressed in terms of its diameter (not radius)?
    This relationship comes from the first equation you wrote.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Oh okey i didn't notice that it was written in terms of the diameter !
    Thanks !

I have another question about oscillations, it was an assignment that we did two weeks ago. I didn't understand the exercise so I didn't do it and my teacher doesn't give the details of the solutions. I'm expecting someone to help me and explain me the steps:

Three block of mass m=0.13kg are connected with three springs of constant k1 k2 k3 and

Two of the normal modes of the system, expressed in terms of displacement are :
    |1>=( 1 0 -3) |2>= ( 27 -10 9)

Knowing that the lower frequency that isn't necessarly the first mode frequency is 20 rad/s. Find the spring constants.

All i did is that i gave the equations of motion so i got few points for that, and found the |3> as they're perpendicular between them.

Thank you, I have an exam tomorrow and need to understand this !

5. Mar 12, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you should post this as a separate question with an appropriate title.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted