1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder inscribed in sphere

1. Oct 16, 2006 #1
    The problem is to find the radius and height of the open right circular cylinder of largest surface area that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius a. What is the largest surface area?

The open cylinder's surface area will be
    [tex] f(h,r) = 2 \pi r h [/tex]

I am not really sure about the sphere, because I'm not really sure about the constraints that would apply. It looks like it would just be
    [tex] a^2 = r^2 + h^2 + r^2 = 2r^2 +h^2[/tex], but this would only be if the cylinder is centered about the origin. But I guess that since it is a sphere, and perfectly symmetrical, then trying to squeeze the cylinder in diagonally would be the same as along the origin. Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, it is the same. Combine the constraint into the function and try to differentiate.

4. Oct 16, 2006 #3
    Huh, I got something funny:

[tex] \nabla f = \lambda \nabla g [/tex]
    [tex] \nabla f = (2 \pi r)i + (2 \pi h)j[/tex]
    [tex] \nabla g = (4r)i + (2h)j [/tex]
    so
    [tex] 2 \pi r = \lambda 4r[/tex]
    [tex] 2 \pi h = \lambda 2h[/tex]
    which means
    [tex]\lambda = \frac{ \pi}{2} = \pi[/tex]???

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  5. Oct 16, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I'm pretty sure [itex]\pi\ne \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]!

6. Oct 16, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

I think the constraint you set is wrong. It should be [tex]a^2 = r^2 + \left(\frac{h}{2}\right)^2[/tex], unless I'm missing something.

7. Oct 16, 2006 #6
    Ah crap, you are right. I just realized that I built the constraint wrong. But this constraint doesn't work either. The only one that would work would be [tex] a^2 = r^2 + h^2[/tex].

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?