• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Cylinder lying on conveyor belt

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
It's not much different from what you did. The acceleration of the belt is ##\frac{dV}{dt}##. In the non-inertial frame it manifests itself as a fictitious force ##ma## acting on the CM in the opposite direction as the acceleration of the belt. The torque equation about the point of contact on the belt gives ##MaR=(Mk^2+MR^2)\alpha## (note the use of he parallel axis theorem). Let ##a'_{cm}## be the acceleration of the CM in the non-inertial frame. Then ##a'_{cm}=\alpha/R##. Put this back in the torque equation, cancel the masses and get $$a'_{cm}=\frac{R^2}{k^2+R^2}a=\frac{R^2}{k^2+R^2}\left(-\frac{dV}{dt}\right).$$ The negative sign is introduced because ##a'_{cm}## and ##\frac{dV}{dt}## are in opposite directions. In the inertial frame, the acceleration of the CM is $$a_{cm}=a+a'_{cm}=\frac{dV}{dt}-\frac{R^2}{k^2+R^2}\frac{dV}{dt} =\frac{k^2}{k^2+R^2}\frac{dV}{dt} $$The velocity of the CM is$$v_{cm}(t)=\int a_{cm}dt=\frac{k^2}{k^2+R^2}\int \frac{dV}{dt}dt=\frac{k^2}{k^2+R^2}V(t).$$I am not convinced that this is a better way to approach the problem however.
Reading that made me realise that in non-inertial frames it is valid to deal with fictitious changes in momentum. If the frame has acceleration a=a(t) over an interval then conservation of momentum works by adding the "fictitious" term mΔv=m∫a.dt.
Something similar may be possible for angular momentum, and if such a rule were taken as standard you could avoid the integration step above.

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Aren't you assuming constant acceleration with this statement?
No, that is a pefectly general equation.

kuruman

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Reading that made me realise that in non-inertial frames it is valid to deal with fictitious changes in momentum. If the frame has acceleration a=a(t) over an interval then conservation of momentum works by adding the "fictitious" term mΔv=m∫a.dt.
Something similar may be possible for angular momentum, and if such a rule were taken as standard you could avoid the integration step above.
Yes, having to do the integral is exactly why I am not convinced that my method is a better way to approach the problem. It has the advantage that it is based on a "snapshot" FBD and does not require justifying conservation of momentum over an interval Δt but, overall, I think it is lengthier.