How Do You Convert Cylinder Pressure into Piston Force?

In summary, to calculate the load on the piston in Newtons, you first need to find the conversion between bar and Pa and the area of the end of the piston. Then, using the relation between pressure, area, and force, you can integrate and determine the force.
d4v1dtyler
Hi,

If I know that the peak cylinder pressure is 175 bar, how do I calculate the load (in Newtons) on the piston?

Cheers,

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi d4v1dtyler! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

If I know that the peak cylinder pressure is 175 bar, how do I calculate the load (in Newtons) on the piston?
Do you know the area of the end of the piston?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know the conversion between bar and Pa? That is the first thing you need to find out. Then you need the relation between pressure, area, and force. Assume that pressure is uniform over the piston, integrate, and you have the force.

1. What is the relationship between cylinder pressure and force?

The force exerted by a cylinder is directly proportional to the pressure inside the cylinder. This means that the higher the pressure, the greater the force that is produced.

2. How do you calculate force from cylinder pressure?

The formula for calculating force from cylinder pressure is Force = Pressure x Area. This means that the force is equal to the pressure exerted on the surface area of the cylinder.

3. Does the size of the cylinder affect the force produced from the pressure?

Yes, the size of the cylinder does affect the force produced from the pressure. A larger surface area will result in a greater force, while a smaller surface area will result in a smaller force, even with the same pressure.

4. What is the unit of measurement for cylinder pressure and force?

The unit of measurement for cylinder pressure is usually pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). Force is typically measured in pounds (lbs) or newtons (N).

5. How does the temperature of the cylinder affect the pressure and force?

The temperature of the cylinder can affect the pressure and force by changing the volume and density of the gas inside. As the temperature increases, the pressure and force will also increase, and vice versa.