Calc Angular Accel of Solid Cylinder - FxR Method

• Thread starter sheri1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a solid cylinder pivoting on a frictionless bearing and a string pulling down with a force equal to the weight of a hanging mass. The goal is to calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder, using equations such as torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration. The conversation also clarifies the use of Greek letters in these equations.
sheri1987
1. Homework Statement

M, a solid cylinder (M=1.67 kg, R=0.137 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.670 kg mass, i.e., F = 6.573 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

2. Homework Equations

F*R ?
ang accel. = alpha*R

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied Force*Radius, cause someone told me to start with that, but I'm not sure what to do next? Do I have to use a=9.81 m/s^2? I'm not really good at this stuff so if someone could help me that would be great! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You already did use a=9.81m/s^2 when you found the weight of the hanging mass.

so should I still do Force * radius...then what?

Force*radius is torque. Then you need to find moment of inertia. Then T=I*omega. Just like F=ma, right?

Dick said:
Then T=I*omega. Just like F=ma, right?

I think you want I · alpha there , since alpha is angular acceleration.

Oh, yeah. I had a funny feeling while I was writing it. Guess I'm forgetting what greek letters look like written in english. Thanks.

1. What is the "FxR Method" for calculating angular acceleration of a solid cylinder?

The "FxR Method" is a mathematical approach used to calculate the angular acceleration of a solid cylinder. It involves finding the net torque acting on the cylinder and dividing it by the moment of inertia of the cylinder about its axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder calculated?

The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder is calculated by multiplying the mass of the cylinder by the square of its radius and dividing it by 2.

3. What is the formula for calculating net torque?

The formula for calculating net torque is T = F x R, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and R is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. Can the "FxR Method" be used for other shapes besides a solid cylinder?

Yes, the "FxR Method" can be used for any shape as long as the moment of inertia and net torque can be calculated for that shape.

5. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is related to linear acceleration through the formula a = rα, where a is the linear acceleration, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and α is the angular acceleration.