1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder Question

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

M, a solid cylinder (M=1.67 kg, R=0.137 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.670 kg mass, i.e., F = 6.573 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations

F*R ?
    ang accel. = alpha*R

3. The attempt at a solution

I multiplied Force*Radius, cause someone told me to start with that, but I'm not sure what to do next? Do I have to use a=9.81 m/s^2? I'm not really good at this stuff so if someone could help me that would be great!! thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already did use a=9.81m/s^2 when you found the weight of the hanging mass.

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    so should I still do Force * radius...then what?

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Force*radius is torque. Then you need to find moment of inertia. Then T=I*omega. Just like F=ma, right?

6. Oct 25, 2007 #5

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I think you want I · alpha there , since alpha is angular acceleration.

7. Oct 25, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, yeah. I had a funny feeling while I was writing it. Guess I'm forgetting what greek letters look like written in english. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?