How to Calculate the Volume of a Cylinder Using Ideal Gas Equation?

In summary, the problem involves an ideal gas stored in an unknown volume cylinder. Part of the gas is transferred to another cylinder with a known volume and pressure. Due to this transfer, the pressure in the first cylinder decreases. By using the ideal gas equation and considering constant temperature, the volume of the first cylinder can be calculated. The problem also involves determining the number of moles transferred and writing ideal gas equations for both cylinders.
marcio

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is stored in a cylinder whose volume is unknown. Part of this gas is transferred to another cylinder whose volume is 300 cm3 and pressure is 790 mmHg. The mass loss caused the pressure in the first cylinder to decrease from 650 to 630 mmHg. Considering that all measurements were taken at constant temperature, calculate the volume of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
PV=k

I just can't get it started.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let n0 represent the number of moles of gas originally in the cylinder, and let n0-Δn be the number of moles remaining after part of the mass was transferred to the other cylinder. How many moles were transferred to the other cylinder. Let V equal to the volume of the cylinder of interest. Write the ideal gas equation for the conditions in the cylinder of interest both before the transfer of mass and after the transfer of mass. Also write the ideal gas equation for the conditions in the cylinder to which the mass was transferred.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Let n0 represent the number of moles of gas originally in the cylinder, and let n0-Δn be the number of moles remaining after part of the mass was transferred to the other cylinder. How many moles were transferred to the other cylinder. Let V equal to the volume of the cylinder of interest. Write the ideal gas equation for the conditions in the cylinder of interest both before the transfer of mass and after the transfer of mass. Also write the ideal gas equation for the conditions in the cylinder to which the mass was transferred.

Chet
The start I needed exactly. It seems simple after you get the 'hint'.

Thank you very much.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do I find the radius of a cylinder?

To find the radius of a cylinder, you can measure the distance from the center of one circular base to the edge of the base. You can also calculate the radius by dividing the diameter of the circular base by 2.

3. What units should I use when calculating cylinder volume?

When calculating cylinder volume, you should use cubic units such as cubic centimeters (cm³) or cubic meters (m³). This is because volume is a three-dimensional measurement and requires three units to fully describe it.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of any cylinder?

Yes, the formula V = πr²h can be used to calculate the volume of any cylinder, regardless of its size or shape. However, make sure to use the appropriate units for each variable (radius and height) to ensure accurate results.

5. Is there an online calculator I can use to quickly calculate cylinder volume?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can quickly and accurately calculate the volume of a cylinder. Simply input the values for radius and height, and the calculator will provide the volume in the desired units. Just make sure to double check the units and formula used by the calculator to ensure accuracy.