Calculate Volume of a Right Circular Cylinder - Cylinder Volume Help

In summary, the conversation was about finding the volume of a right circular cylinder with a given radius and length. The formula V=pi*r^2*l was used to calculate the volume, which was found to be 770 cm3.
skandol

Homework Statement

A right circular cylinder has a radius of 2.36 cm and a length of 44.0 cm. Its volume is ____ cm3?

Homework Equations

V=pi*r^2*l

(i am not sure if this equation is correct because the say to use height and i am given length)

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume= 770 cm3

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks good to me.

skandol said:

Homework Statement

A right circular cylinder has a radius of 2.36 cm and a length of 44.0 cm. Its volume is ____ cm3?

Homework Equations

V=pi*r^2*l

(i am not sure if this equation is correct because the say to use height and i am given length)
Then turn the cylinder on its end!:smile:

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume= 770 cm3[/QUOTE]

1. How do I calculate the volume of a right circular cylinder?

To calculate the volume of a right circular cylinder, you will need to know its height and radius. The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height.

2. What is the unit of measurement for cylinder volume?

The unit of measurement for cylinder volume is typically cubic units, such as cubic inches, cubic feet, or cubic meters. This unit represents the amount of space inside the cylinder.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of any cylinder?

Yes, the formula V = πr²h can be used to calculate the volume of any right circular cylinder, regardless of its size. However, make sure to use the appropriate units for the radius and height to get an accurate result.

4. Is the volume of a cylinder the same as its capacity?

No, the volume of a cylinder refers to the amount of space inside the cylinder, while its capacity refers to the maximum amount of liquid or gas it can hold. The capacity of a cylinder may be less than its volume if there is empty space inside the cylinder.

5. How do I convert the volume of a cylinder into different units?

To convert the volume of a cylinder into different units, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert cubic inches to cubic feet, you would divide the volume in cubic inches by 1728, since there are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot.