How can I solve for buoyancy in a cylinder using the given equations?

• Thread starter ehf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem statement that is illegible and the request for the poster to present the problem in text form rather than in scribbles. The poster also asks for clarification on the problem and provides a fixed image. The expert asks for a typed version of the problem and an explanation of the reasoning used. The poster expresses difficulty in understanding the problem and asks for further guidance. The expert requests for the poster to repost the equations in typed form with an explanation.
ehf
Member warned that work should be posted as text, not as illegible photos

Homework Statement

iVok98y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iVok98y.jpg

Homework Equations

p=ρgh+p0, F=ρVg

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously wrong scribble except num 1
sorry for the s**ty handwriting look at #7
59Ew8vJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/59Ew8vJ.jpg
edit: fixed the problems with the photo. look at the links, the forum software cropped the quality.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is illegible. It is good form in these forums to present the problem in text form and use images for supporting drawings and such. Similarly, it is good form to put your answer in text form rather than in scribbles. Superscripts, subscripts and special symbols (the ∑ icon above the editting pane) are available to make the text form prettier. You can even use TeX to typeset your equations, e.g. ##F=\rho g v##

jbriggs444 said:
The problem statement is illegible. It is good form in these forums to present the problem in text form and use images for supporting drawings and such. Similarly, it is good form to put your answer in text form rather than in scribbles. Superscripts, subscripts and special symbols (the ∑ icon above the editting pane) are available to make the text form prettier. You can even use TeX to typeset your equations, e.g. ##F=\rho g v##
fixed image problem. I'll try that later on.

ehf said:
fixed image problem. I'll try that later on.
Your answers to a and b look fine, but I cannot follow your working in c. When you post a typed version of that, please explain your reasoning.

haruspex said:
Your answers to a and b look fine, but I cannot follow your working in c. When you post a typed version of that, please explain your reasoning.
well c is my problem to me. should i take account the length difference only or is there sth more?

ehf said:
c is my problem to me
Ok, but I cannot decipher your working. Please repost as typed equations, with some explanation of your reasoning.

Yes, please repost as typed equations.

Thread closed.

What is a "Cylinder with buoyancy"?

A cylinder with buoyancy refers to a cylindrical object that has the ability to float or rise in a fluid due to the upward force of buoyancy.

How does the buoyancy of a cylinder work?

The buoyancy of a cylinder is based on Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In other words, the weight of the water that the cylinder pushes out of the way is equal to the force that pushes the cylinder up.

What factors affect the buoyancy of a cylinder?

The buoyancy of a cylinder is affected by its volume, density, and the density of the fluid it is submerged in. A larger volume and lower density will result in greater buoyancy, while a higher density will result in less buoyancy.

Can a cylinder sink or float?

Yes, depending on its density and the density of the fluid it is submerged in, a cylinder can either sink or float. If the density of the cylinder is greater than the density of the fluid, it will sink. If the density of the cylinder is less than the density of the fluid, it will float.

How can the buoyancy of a cylinder be calculated?

The buoyancy of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the cylinder, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for the volume of the cylinder, given the buoyant force and density of the fluid.