How Does Pressure Affect the Buoyancy of a Cylinder?

• Thread starter ehf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, a cylinder with buoyancy is an object that is partially or fully submerged in a fluid and experiences an upward force that allows it to float or remain suspended. This buoyant force is due to Archimedes' principle and is affected by the cylinder's volume, density, and the density of the fluid it is submerged in. The buoyancy of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula B = ρVg, and these cylinders have various real-world applications in industries such as shipping, diving, and oil drilling.
ehf

Homework Statement

A cylinder shape object with a movable piston is 1.5 times of its own weight. The mass of object is figure. The initial buoyant force of the object is the waterVt.41 R Pititon iri, cylinder is Vi. and P1. Ignore the net volume of the tinder aP Before floating in the water container as shown in the Ina, and the volume and pressure of air inside Piston 1 cylinder material. The pressure at the top of water After container is set to be 0. Assume the temperature is (1)SP is applied from an external syringe. (2) and (3) show shapes of the cylinder before and after applying so P. constant. (a) Find out the required ratio of length /2/11 to make the object start to sink. [2 points] (b) In a case that we ignore the pressure due to water depth, find the minimum pressure aP to be applied to the water in order to make the object sink. [4 points] (c) In a case that we consider the pressure due to water depth, find the minimum pressure a p to be applied to the water in order to make the object sink. [4 points]
http://i.imgur.com/iVok98y.jpg
Well I am sorry but i have an exam coming up so what i can do is a simple OCR. if you click the imgur link it is perfectly visible.

Homework Equations

P=P0+ρgh
F=mg=ρgV

The Attempt at a Solution

1 and 2 is about it but i don't know whether to consider the l1 and l2 or the whole container.
again, this imgur link is good.
http://i.imgur.com/59Ew8vJ.jpg[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
ehf said:

Homework Statement

A cylinder shape object with a movable piston is 1.5 times of its own weight. The mass of object is figure. The initial buoyant force of the object is the waterVt.41 R Pititon iri, cylinder is Vi. and P1. Ignore the net volume of the tinder aP Before floating in the water container as shown in the Ina, and the volume and pressure of air inside Piston 1 cylinder material. The pressure at the top of water After container is set to be 0. Assume the temperature is (1)SP is applied from an external syringe. (2) and (3) show shapes of the cylinder before and after applying so P. constant. (a) Find out the required ratio of length /2/11 to make the object start to sink. [2 points] (b) In a case that we ignore the pressure due to water depth, find the minimum pressure aP to be applied to the water in order to make the object sink. [4 points] (c) In a case that we consider the pressure due to water depth, find the minimum pressure a p to be applied to the water in order to make the object sink. [4 points]
http://i.imgur.com/iVok98y.jpg
Well I am sorry but i have an exam coming up so what i can do is a simple OCR. if you click the imgur link it is perfectly visible.

Homework Equations

P=P0+ρgh
F=mg=ρgV

The Attempt at a Solution

1 and 2 is about it but i don't know whether to consider the l1 and l2 or the whole container.
again, this imgur link is good.
http://i.imgur.com/59Ew8vJ.jpg[/B]
As I posted before, your answers to parts a and b look fine, but the last part is unintelligible.
Take the trouble to type your working in and explain what you are doing.
That's why @Mark44 closed the thread.

Please follow haruspex's advice before reposting.

Thread locked.

1. What is a cylinder with buoyancy?

A cylinder with buoyancy is a type of object that is partially or fully submerged in a fluid, and its weight is balanced by the upward force of the fluid. This is known as buoyancy, and it allows the cylinder to float or remain suspended in the fluid.

2. How does buoyancy work in a cylinder?

Buoyancy in a cylinder works due to Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In other words, the more fluid the cylinder displaces, the greater the buoyant force it experiences, allowing it to float or remain suspended.

3. What factors affect the buoyancy of a cylinder?

The buoyancy of a cylinder is affected by its volume, density, and the density of the fluid it is submerged in. A larger volume or lower density cylinder will experience greater buoyant force, while a denser fluid will provide more resistance to the buoyant force.

4. How can the buoyancy of a cylinder be calculated?

The buoyancy of a cylinder can be calculated by determining the weight of the fluid it displaces, which is equal to the buoyant force acting on the cylinder. This can be calculated using the formula B = ρVg, where B is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the cylinder, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some real-world applications of cylinders with buoyancy?

Cylinders with buoyancy have numerous real-world applications, such as in ships and submarines, where they provide the necessary buoyant force to keep the vessel afloat or submerged. They are also used in scuba diving equipment, flotation devices, and even in oil drilling platforms to keep them afloat in the ocean.