1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder with hole in it

1. Dec 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform cylinder of radius R and mass 8kg has an off-axis hole drilled through it at 2R/5. Its new mass is 6.5kg. The hole and cylinder are parallel with their centers being the same height. What horizontal force, F, must be applied on the top to keep the cylinder at rest?

2. Relevant equations
    I tried writing a torque equation for static equilibrium. However, I need to know the center of mass for the cylinder with the drilled hole, but I do not know it. Is there a better approach to this problem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Torque_net = (6.5)(distance of center of mass from cylinder's center) - (F)(R)=0

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just think it is a solid cylinder plus a thin cylinder of negative mass.

4. Dec 24, 2013 #3
    Or you can imagine another hole, drilled symmetrically to the first, with the same mass taken out. The remaining cylinder will have 5 kg at x=0, one hole is actually filled with mass 1.5 kg at 2R/5. Then it shall be easy to calculate new xcom in terms of R.
    Also g shall be involved in the torque calculation..

5. Dec 25, 2013 #4
    I got it, thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted