Cylinder w/Piston: Final Temp & Vol Answered in Terms of Nk, T0, V0

In summary: And from this Vleft...The gas in the right chamber gets compressed adiabatically and reversibly. The pressure of each side at first is P = NkT0/V0. The pressure has to be equal on both sides for the piston to stop moving right? So after the piston moves each side has a pressure of 2P. I'm not sure how to get the volume of the left side in terms of V and V0.
S_Flaherty

Homework Statement

A cylinder is closed at both ends and has thermally insulating walls. It is divided into 2 parts (left and right) by a movable, frictionless, thermally insulating piston. There is a heating coil in the left compartment, and there are N molecules of an ideal gas, with heat capacity Cv = 7/2 Nk, in each compartment. Originally, the volume and temperature on each side are V0 and T0. The left side is slowly warmed with the coil until its pressure doubles. Give answers to the following in terms of Nk, T0, and V0, only.

What are the final temperature and volume on the right side?

Homework Equations

PV = NkT

The Attempt at a Solution

From the value of Cv I know that the degrees of freedom are 7, so U = (7/2)NkT for each side before the piston moves. Since the piston is thermally insulated does that mean the temperature on the right side won't change? So T = T0? If that's the case then V = V0/2 wouldn't it? Is it that simple or am I completely missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
S_Flaherty said:

Since the piston is thermally insulated does that mean the temperature on the right side won't change? So T = T0? If that's the case then V = V0/2 wouldn't it? Is it that simple or am I completely missing something?

No, the temperature on the right side will change, since the gas gets compressed. From the ideal gas law, what is the pressure in each of the chambers to begin with? What can you say about the relationship between the pressures in the two chambers after the system re-equilibrates? Let V be the final volume of the right chamber. In terms of V and V0, what is the final volume of the left chamber. The gas in the right chamber gets compressed adibatically and reversibly. How is the final pressure and the final temperature related to V/V0, T0, and P0? What ratio of V/V0 is required to double the pressure in the right chamber? What is the final volume of the left chamber? If you know the volume of the left chamber and its pressure, what is its final temperature?

Chestermiller said:
No, the temperature on the right side will change, since the gas gets compressed. From the ideal gas law, what is the pressure in each of the chambers to begin with? What can you say about the relationship between the pressures in the two chambers after the system re-equilibrates? Let V be the final volume of the right chamber. In terms of V and V0, what is the final volume of the left chamber. The gas in the right chamber gets compressed adibatically and reversibly. How is the final pressure and the final temperature related to V/V0, T0, and P0? What ratio of V/V0 is required to double the pressure in the right chamber? What is the final volume of the left chamber? If you know the volume of the left chamber and its pressure, what is its final temperature?

The pressure of each side at first is P = NkT0/V0. The pressure has to be equal on both sides for the piston to stop moving right? So after the piston moves each side has a pressure of 2P. I'm not sure how to get the volume of the left side in terms of V and V0.

S_Flaherty said:
The pressure of each side at first is P = NkT0/V0. The pressure has to be equal on both sides for the piston to stop moving right? So after the piston moves each side has a pressure of 2P. I'm not sure how to get the volume of the left side in terms of V and V0.
Have you answered the other questions I asked? The volume of the left side is 2V0-V.

Chestermiller said:
Have you answered the other questions I asked? The volume of the left side is 2V0-V.

The final pressure is just 2P so 2NkT0/V0 and for adiabatic compression isn't Vf(Tf)7/2 = V0(T0)7/2 ?

S_Flaherty said:
The final pressure is just 2P so 2NkT0/V0 and for adiabatic compression isn't Vf(Tf)7/2 = V0(T0)7/2 ?
Use PVγ = Const. to get the final volume on the right side.

Chestermiller said:
Use PVγ = Const. to get the final volume on the right side.

How do I get the constant to be in terms I can use?

S_Flaherty said:
How do I get the constant to be in terms I can use?
[tex]PV^\gamma=P_0V_0^\gamma[/tex]
P=2P0. Solve for V in terms of V0.

Chestermiller said:
[tex]PV^\gamma=P_0V_0^\gamma[/tex]
P=2P0. Solve for V in terms of V0.

Ok, so V = V0/27/9 which means T = 22/9T0 for the right side?

And from this Vleft = V0(2 - 27/9) and Tleft = 211/9T0 ?

S_Flaherty said:
Ok, so V = V0/27/9 which means T = 22/9T0 for the right side?

And from this Vleft = V0(2 - 27/9) and Tleft = 211/9T0 ?
The right side looks OK, but you did the algebra wrong for the left side (both results). Also, please calculate out the actual numbers. You get Tleft by using the ideal gas law.

Chestermiller said:
The right side looks OK, but you did the algebra wrong for the left side (both results). Also, please calculate out the actual numbers. You get Tleft by using the ideal gas law.

I see what I did wrong, so for the left V = 2V0 - Vright = 1.417V0 so T = 2.834T0

S_Flaherty said:
I see what I did wrong, so for the left V = 2V0 - Vright = 1.417V0 so T = 2.834T0
yes!

Chestermiller said:
yes!

Thanks so much for your help

Chestermiller said:
yes!

I have another question, would the work done on the right side just be W = -2P(0.583Vo - Vo) or would I have to do something else with the pressure since it increases to 2P instead of being 2P the whole time?

S_Flaherty said:
I have another question, would the work done on the right side just be W = -2P(0.583Vo - Vo) or would I have to do something else with the pressure since it increases to 2P instead of being 2P the whole time?
You could get the work done on the right side in two different ways, but this was not one of them. You could integrate PdV from the initial to the final volume; or you could use the final temperature to determine the change in internal energy CvΔT, since no heat enters or leaves the right chamber. Both these methods will give the same result.

Chestermiller said:
You could get the work done on the right side in two different ways, but this was not one of them. You could integrate PdV from the initial to the final volume; or you could use the final temperature to determine the change in internal energy CvΔT, since no heat enters or leaves the right chamber. Both these methods will give the same result.

I used a graphing method and got that the work done is 0.21NkTo, but I guess that is incorrect because I tried CvΔT and got 0.58NkTo. I use the change in temp of the right side right?

S_Flaherty said:
I used a graphing method and got that the work done is 0.21NkTo, but I guess that is incorrect because I tried CvΔT and got 0.58NkTo. I use the change in temp of the right side right?
I got the 0.58NkTo result doing it both ways.

What is a cylinder with piston?

A cylinder with piston is a simple mechanical device used to convert energy into motion. It consists of a cylindrical chamber with a movable piston inside.

How do you calculate the final temperature and volume of a cylinder with piston?

The final temperature and volume of a cylinder with piston can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT. In this equation, P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What does Nk, T0, and V0 represent in the equation for final temperature and volume?

Nk represents the number of moles of gas multiplied by the Boltzmann constant, T0 represents the initial temperature, and V0 represents the initial volume of the gas in the cylinder with piston.

Can the final temperature and volume of a cylinder with piston be calculated for any type of gas?

Yes, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the final temperature and volume for any type of gas as long as the conditions are within the ideal gas limit and the gas behaves ideally.

What are some real-world applications of a cylinder with piston?

Cylinders with pistons are used in many different industries, such as in engines for vehicles, compressors for air conditioning units, and pumps for hydraulic systems. They are also commonly used in lab experiments and demonstrations to study the behavior of gases.