1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical coordinates

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Say I have line, y = - 5 in cartesian coordinates. How do I express this in cylindrical coordinates?

Also, if I have a point (0,-5) in cartesian coordinates, how to I express this position vector in cylindrical coordinates?

2. Relevant equations

y = r sin (phi)

j = r(hat)cos (phi) - phi(hat) sin (phi)

3. The attempt at a solution

THe relations are right there but I've forgotten howto use them.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

do you remember how to turn say [tex](x,y)[/tex] into [tex](r,\theta)[/tex] in 2D? the idea there is similar...

4. Apr 26, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Cylindrical coordinates? That's in 3d but you only mention 2 coordinates? Perhaps you mean polar coordinates- cylindrical coordinates but ignore the z component.

You mention [itex]y= r sin(\phi)[/itex] (I would have used [itex]\theta[/itex]). Do you also know that [itex]x= r cos(\phi)[/itex]? Solve those two equations for r and [itex]\phi[/itex] in terms of x and y. The first is easy! You can eliminate [itex]\phi[/itex] by squaring both equations and adding. The second is about as easy: eliminate r by dividing one equation by the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?