1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical coordinates

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Hello there,

I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem.

I have different charges distributed in the space as a cylinder. The axis of the "cylinder" is the Y axis. And I have one charge at certain distance (let s say pp) from the "cylinder", how do I calculate the vector from this charge to each particle (in cylindrical coordinates)?

Also, how do I calculate the vector from one particle to another in cylindrical coordinates?.

At the moment I have define the vector as [tex]\vec{R}[/tex]=R[tex]_{\rho}[/tex][tex]\hat{\rho}[/tex]+R[tex]_{\varphi}[/tex][tex]\hat{\varphi}[/tex]+R[tex]_{y}[/tex][tex]\hat{y}[/tex]

where R[tex]_{\rho}[/tex]=R*sin([tex]\frac{\varphi2-\varphi1}{2}[/tex]), R_phi=R*cos([tex]\frac{\varphi2-\varphi1}{2}[/tex]) and R[tex]_{y}[/tex]=y1-y2

R=sqrt(radius^2-2*radius^2*cos([tex]\varphi[/tex]2-[tex]\varphi[/tex]1)),
    y1 and y2 is the respectively distance to the centre and [tex]\varphi[/tex]2, [tex]\varphi[/tex]1 is the angle of each particle regarding axis X.

ps. sorry if my notation is not very good but I am new in this forum and I am not sure how this works!
    Hope I explain myself clear enough! :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted