Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical coordinates

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Hello there,

I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem.

I have different charges distributed in the space as a cylinder. The axis of the "cylinder" is the Y axis. And I have one charge at certain distance (let s say pp) from the "cylinder", how do I calculate the vector from this charge to each particle (in cylindrical coordinates)?

Also, how do I calculate the vector from one particle to another in cylindrical coordinates?.

At the moment I have define the vector as [tex]\vec{R}[/tex]=R[tex]_{\rho}[/tex][tex]\hat{\rho}[/tex]+R[tex]_{\varphi}[/tex][tex]\hat{\varphi}[/tex]+R[tex]_{y}[/tex][tex]\hat{y}[/tex]

where R[tex]_{\rho}[/tex]=R*sin([tex]\frac{\varphi2-\varphi1}{2}[/tex]), R_phi=R*cos([tex]\frac{\varphi2-\varphi1}{2}[/tex]) and R[tex]_{y}[/tex]=y1-y2

R=sqrt(radius^2-2*radius^2*cos([tex]\varphi[/tex]2-[tex]\varphi[/tex]1)),
    y1 and y2 is the respectively distance to the centre and [tex]\varphi[/tex]2, [tex]\varphi[/tex]1 is the angle of each particle regarding axis X.

ps. sorry if my notation is not very good but I am new in this forum and I am not sure how this works!
    Hope I explain myself clear enough! :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted