1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Cylindrical Coordinates.
    Find the volume of the solid that the cylinder [tex]r=acos\theta[/tex] cuts out of the sphere of radius a centered at the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    Sphere = x2+y2+z2=a3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the limits are from -pi/2 to positive pi/2 for theta, 0 to acos(theta) for r, and negative (a3-r2)1/2 to positive (a3-r2)1/2. This gives me the equation:
    [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{-\pi/2}\int^{acos\theta}_0\int^{\sqrt{a^3-r^2}}_{-\sqrt{a^3-r^2}} dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
    Solving this, I get a volume of [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}a^{9/2}+\frac{8}{9}a^3[/tex]
    But is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi squeeky! Welcome to PF! :smile:

erm … you need oiling! :biggrin:

i know it's three-dimensional, but still …

it should be x2+y2+z2=a2 :redface:

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it's not. The the graph of the equation [itex]r= acos(\theta)[/itex], in polar coordinates is a circle with center at (0, a/2) and radius a/2. Since it lies only in the upper half plane, [itex]\theta[/itex] ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], not [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

5. Nov 17, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi HallsofIvy! :smile:

No, that would be r = a sintheta. :wink:

6. Nov 17, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oops! Well, I'll just go back and edit it so it looks like I never made that mistake!

7. Nov 18, 2008 #6
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Ah! That's right, I don't know how I got that cube, I must have been seeing things when I looked up the formula.

And so now I get a an equation of [tex]\int^{\pi}_0\int^{acos\theta}_0\int^{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}}_{-\sqrt{a^2-r^2}}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
    which (unless I did my math wrong) gives me a somewhat nice value of [tex]V=(\frac{2a^3}{3})(\frac{4}{3}-\pi)[/tex]
    Is this right now?

8. Nov 18, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, that looks right …

except doesn't theta go from -π/2 to π/2, as in your original post? :smile:

9. Nov 18, 2008 #8
    That's what I thought at first, but HallsofIvy pointed out that it's actually from 0 to pi. Was I right at first then? Because it does make more sense to me if it is from -pi/2 to pi/2, since I see the limits as lying in the xz-plane.

10. Nov 19, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! :biggrin:

The circle has centre (a/2,0) …

for example, the point (0,1) obviously doesn't lie on it. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?