Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Cylindrical Coordinates.
    Find the volume of the solid that the cylinder [tex]r=acos\theta[/tex] cuts out of the sphere of radius a centered at the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    Sphere = x2+y2+z2=a3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the limits are from -pi/2 to positive pi/2 for theta, 0 to acos(theta) for r, and negative (a3-r2)1/2 to positive (a3-r2)1/2. This gives me the equation:
    [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{-\pi/2}\int^{acos\theta}_0\int^{\sqrt{a^3-r^2}}_{-\sqrt{a^3-r^2}} dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
    Solving this, I get a volume of [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}a^{9/2}+\frac{8}{9}a^3[/tex]
    But is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi squeeky! Welcome to PF! :smile:

erm … you need oiling! :biggrin:

i know it's three-dimensional, but still …

it should be x2+y2+z2=a2 :redface:

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, it's not. The the graph of the equation [itex]r= acos(\theta)[/itex], in polar coordinates is a circle with center at (0, a/2) and radius a/2. Since it lies only in the upper half plane, [itex]\theta[/itex] ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], not [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

5. Nov 17, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi HallsofIvy! :smile:

No, that would be r = a sintheta. :wink:

6. Nov 17, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Oops! Well, I'll just go back and edit it so it looks like I never made that mistake!

7. Nov 18, 2008 #6
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Ah! That's right, I don't know how I got that cube, I must have been seeing things when I looked up the formula.

And so now I get a an equation of [tex]\int^{\pi}_0\int^{acos\theta}_0\int^{\sqrt{a^2-r^2}}_{-\sqrt{a^2-r^2}}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
    which (unless I did my math wrong) gives me a somewhat nice value of [tex]V=(\frac{2a^3}{3})(\frac{4}{3}-\pi)[/tex]
    Is this right now?

8. Nov 18, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, that looks right …

except doesn't theta go from -π/2 to π/2, as in your original post? :smile:

9. Nov 18, 2008 #8
    That's what I thought at first, but HallsofIvy pointed out that it's actually from 0 to pi. Was I right at first then? Because it does make more sense to me if it is from -pi/2 to pi/2, since I see the limits as lying in the xz-plane.

10. Nov 19, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! :biggrin:

The circle has centre (a/2,0) …

for example, the point (0,1) obviously doesn't lie on it. :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook