1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical coordinates

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let W= {(x,y,z)| x^2 + y^2 ≤ 1, -1 ≤ z ≤ 1} (W is a bounded cylindrical region)

Evaluate the triple integral f(x,y,z)= z^2 x^2 + z^2 y^2 over W. Use cylindrical coordinates
    2. Relevant equations
    i dont see any relevant equations besides the obvious cylindrical coordinate equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no clue what the problem is asking for to be honest? any help on how to get me started? thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

convert the function to cyl coordinates using x = r cos(theta) and y=r sin(theta) and z=z and what do you get?

Can you simplify it?

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    yes sir! im on it right now! thanks

5. Oct 28, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Express your function and limits in term of the cylindrical coordinates. Change (x,y,z) to (r,θ,z) and don't forget to change dxdydz to its cylindrical equivalent. Then integrate. That's what it is asking you.

6. Oct 28, 2012 #5
    f(x,y,z)= z^2 (r^2 cos^2theta) + z^2 (r^2 sin^2 theta)

7. Oct 28, 2012 #6
    thank you dick! im on it right now ! ill post results

8. Oct 28, 2012 #7
    can i integrate the first limit then convert to polar? or do i have to flat out use cylindrical coordinates?

9. Oct 28, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's not that much of a difference. "cylindrical" is just "polar" plus the extra coordinate z. Use what you know about polar.

10. Oct 28, 2012 #9
    if i draw the xz and yz traces, will it be a horizontal line at 1 and at -1? then of course the xy trace is a circle with r=1

11. Oct 28, 2012 #10
    i got the following limits, r ≤ 1,
    0≤ theta ≤ 2pi ,

-1≤z≤1

thats in polar right? now do i integrate? rdrdzdtheta?

12. Oct 28, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The intersection with the xz and yz planes are rectangles, as the problem said, it's a cylinder. I'm not sure why you worried about this.

13. Oct 28, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those are the limits and that's the differential element alright. So what function will you integrate?

14. Oct 28, 2012 #13
    the function i will integrate will be z^2 x^2 + x^2 y^2 which i need to convert so its
    z^2 (r^2 cos^2theta) + z^2 (r^2 sin^2 theta)

i integrate that? if so do i integrate rdzdrdtheta or rdrdzdtheta? i cant find a limit for dz, is it just -1 to 1? i dont have to express in other variables ? if so then its

∫2pi-0 ∫1-0 ∫ 1-(-1) (the function) r dz dr dtheta?

15. Oct 28, 2012 #14
    by the way thanks for helping dick

16. Oct 28, 2012 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem. But you can simplify the function you are integrating. Use a trig identity. It looks like you've got the rest ok.

17. Oct 28, 2012 #16
    can i use sin^2+cos^2=1 then basically do z^2 r^2 + z^2 r^2 which is 2z^2r^2?

18. Oct 28, 2012 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You got the identity right. But the result came out wrong. Give that another thought.

19. Oct 28, 2012 #18
    i conclude z^2 (r^2 cos^2 theta + r^2 sin^2 theta) so i can factor the r^2 as well and im left with (sin ^2 + cos ^2) and thats one

so z^2 r^2???

20. Oct 28, 2012 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Much better. Now put it all together.

21. Oct 28, 2012 #20
    will do ! ill post back with results thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook