Where Can I Find a 7-Position Rotating Cylinder Switch for My Prototype Device?

In summary: Product.aspx?cm_mmc=Google-_-moog-_-US-_-Slip-rings&cm_mmc2=Google-_-moog-_-US-_-Car-Parts-_-Stalk-Switches&gclid=Cj0KCQjwfP4CFBRDARCAodQAoi4D_BwE
Mal Reynolds
I'm working on a prototype device, and I'm currently figuring out the form factor. On the turn indicator of my car, there is a ring with several positions that will control the lights. I'm thinking that something similar would work well on the handle of my device, and I'm looking to purchase this component to test it out. The problem is I don't know what to call it so I can find one. A rotary switch is a different thing entirely.

Can anybody help? I'm looking for a rotating cylinder switch with at least 7 positions. What would this be called, and where could I get one?

Thanks!
-Mal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are still called rotary switches; but of the patented variety.

An automobile steering column switch is provided with a turn signal switch with a selector lever (1) into which a rotary light switch (23) for parking and driving lights is integrated.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6150620

The buzzwords are "rotary switch dual concentric shafts". You can get pairs of knobs to match the dimensions of the two shafts. If you only want to use the ring as a switch, you could probably lock the top section, e.g. with potting compound or araldite.

You should be able to get them small enough (e.g. 0.5 in diameter) to fit in the end of a handle.

Try searching Google images.

Google images ' stalk switch '

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like a stalk switch is the whole arm rather than just the ring, and unless I'm reading it wrong, the patent looks like it is for a specific application rather than the device itself.

I may have to make my own because as AlephZero says, I am really only interested in the outer ring. Or perhaps I'll hunt down a stalk switch in a junk yard, take it apart and paint over the existing markings. ...Now that I type that out, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Not sure about some of the others but in the past with GM the actual switch is not in the stalk. It is in the steering column. The stalk just manipulates the switches.

Mal Reynolds said:
It looks like a stalk switch is the whole arm rather than just the ring, …
The “whole arm” is the “stalk” that sticks out from the steering column trunk. The stalk either contains the switches or has a mechanical linkage to the switches on the steering column. A “stalk switch” is any switch on, or controlled through the stalk.

If you want only a switch, the second hand parts market sells the entire stalk with the switches because disassembly is unnecessary and not always sensible.

1. What is a cylindrical rotary switch?

A cylindrical rotary switch is a type of electrical switch that is designed to be rotated in a circular motion to turn a circuit on or off. It consists of a cylindrical body with multiple contacts and a knob or lever that can be rotated to make or break connections between the contacts.

2. How does a cylindrical rotary switch work?

Inside the cylindrical body of the switch, there are multiple terminals or contacts arranged in a circular pattern. The knob or lever on the outside of the switch is connected to a central shaft that rotates when the knob is turned. As the shaft rotates, it makes contact with different terminals, completing or breaking the circuit as needed.

3. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical rotary switch?

Cylindrical rotary switches are compact, durable, and can handle high currents and voltages. They also have a long lifespan and can withstand a wide range of operating temperatures. Additionally, their circular design allows for easy and precise control of electrical circuits.

4. How is a cylindrical rotary switch different from other types of switches?

Cylindrical rotary switches are different from other types of switches, such as toggle switches or rocker switches, because of their rotating motion. They also have a larger number of contacts, making them suitable for more complex circuits. Additionally, they are typically more robust and can handle higher currents and voltages.

5. What are some common applications of cylindrical rotary switches?

Cylindrical rotary switches are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings, such as control panels, machinery, and appliances. They are also used in automobiles for functions like headlights, windshield wipers, and turn signals. In the field of electronics, they are often used in audio equipment, instrumentation, and power supplies.