Volume of Solid Revolving Around X Axis: Cylindrical Shell Method

In summary, the volume of the solid generated by revolving a about the x axis is (-2y+3) - y = -3y+3.
mbrmbrg
Use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving aabout the indicated axis the region bounded by the given curves.

x=y, x+2y=3, y=0; about the x axis.

Latest version of my work:

(I don't know how to paste a graph into the post. But I graphed my curves.)

[tex]V=\int_{a}^{b}2\pi\L(x)dx[/tex]

But since this rotates around the x-axis instead of the y axis, replace all x's with y's.
I took the 2pi out of the integral b/c it's a constant. After that I'm very unsure of what's going on.

y stayed y.

L(x), the height of the cylinder, is now the width of the cylinder, and is defined as the length of the horizontal line, which is the distance between the two curves.
So L(x)= (-2y+3) - y = -3y+3.

My interval is the largest distance beteween my two curves, which is the x-axis on the interval [0,3]

I shoved that into the equation, factored out a 3 and removed it from the integrand, leaving me with
[tex]6\pi\int_{0}^{3}(y-3y)dx\\=(6\pi)[\frac{y^2}{2}-\frac{y^3}{3}]^3_0\\=6\pi\frac{-27}{6}\\=-27\pi[/tex]

But the book says the answer is pi.

Help? :blushing: Please! :cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the book to tell it is wrong. Volume should always be positive! This gives you a hint on where it might have gone wrong. If you look at the integrand (you should integrate wrt dy) you see it's y-y^2 (ignoring the typo's). Which is negative when y is greater than 1.
So recheck your interation limits and remember you are integrating wrt y.

OK, so I switched my limits to lower limit=0 and upper limit=1 (b/c the curves intersect at y=1).
But when I set L(x)=the horizontal line between the two curves=-2y+3-y=3-3y...

right. It works. Thank you!

What is the cylindrical shell method?

The cylindrical shell method is a technique used to find the volume of a solid that is formed by revolving a shape around a vertical axis, typically the x-axis. It involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and then integrating their volumes to find the total volume.

When is the cylindrical shell method used?

The cylindrical shell method is typically used when the shape being revolved around the x-axis is not a solid of revolution, meaning it cannot be easily rotated to form a complete solid. This method is also useful when the shape has holes or is asymmetrical.

What is the difference between the cylindrical shell method and the disk method?

The disk method involves slicing the solid into thin disks perpendicular to the axis of revolution, while the cylindrical shell method involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells parallel to the axis of revolution. The disk method is typically used for symmetrical shapes, while the cylindrical shell method is more versatile and can be used for asymmetrical shapes.

What are the steps for using the cylindrical shell method?

The steps for using the cylindrical shell method are as follows:

• Slice the solid into thin cylindrical shells parallel to the axis of revolution
  • Find the radius and height of each cylindrical shell
  • Use the formula for the volume of a cylinder to calculate the volume of each shell
  • Add up all the volumes to find the total volume of the solid

What are some common mistakes when using the cylindrical shell method?

Some common mistakes when using the cylindrical shell method include forgetting to integrate the volume formula, using the wrong axis of revolution, and not properly slicing the solid into cylindrical shells. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check all calculations to avoid these errors.