1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical Shells

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    Use cylindrical shells to calculate the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=x and y=x^2-2x about the line y=3
    I know how do set the problem up and how to do it, I just don't know how to write "y=x^2-2x" in terms of "x". This is how I think the problem should be set up, with the changes made to the equation so everything in the equation will be "y's" or "dy's".

integrate from -1 to 0 : 2pi y (x^2-2x) dy + integrate from 0 to 3: 2pi y {y-(x^2-2x)} dy

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF, nobli. We are happy to be of help, but you must show us your work to start things off. Have you made a sketch of the volume? What coordinate system would probably be the easiest to use for this integration? What is the form of the dV vector in that coordinate system?

EDIT -- fixed a typo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?