Volume of Cylindrical Shells: y = 4x - x^2, y = 3; about x = 1

• Thread starter sarah22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylindrical
In summary, Sarah's mistakes in her integral were due to having the wrong limits of integration and not including the height of the shell.
sarah22

Homework Statement

Use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume generated
by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the
specified axis. Sketch the region and a typical shell.

y = 4x - x^2, y = 3; about x = 1

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

int(2*pi*(1-x)*(3-4*x+x^2), x = 0 .. 1) = 11pi/6

This is the only problem on the book that I can't really understand. The correct answer is 8pi/3 according on the odd answers on the back page.

Increasing the upper limit to 2 gives the correct answer. But why? Isn't it I'll just integrate until 1 so I can get a y = 3. Why 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your limits of integration are wrong. The region over which you are integrating is [1, 3], not [0, 1].
I get 8pi/3 with this integral:
[tex]-2\pi \int_1^3 (x - 1)(x^2 - 4x + 3)dx[/tex]

I think the mistake you are making is in the formula that you are integrating. It seems like you were thinking washers while using the shell equation.
The general equation to use for the shell method is

2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] R dx(dx can change depending on which variable you are integrating with respect to, but in this case it would be dx).

Where R is the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the R isn't 3-f(x), just f(x).

maladroit said:
I think the mistake you are making is in the formula that you are integrating. It seems like you were thinking washers while using the shell equation.
Sarah's integrand was correct. Her only problem was she had the wrong limits of integration.
maladroit said:
The general equation to use for the shell method is

2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] R dx(dx can change depending on which variable you are integrating with respect to, but in this case it would be dx).
No, this is not correct. The volume of a cylindrical shell is 2pi * radius * height * thickness. Your formula completely omits the height of the shell.
maladroit said:
Where R is the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the R isn't 3-f(x), just f(x).

why would the limits of integration be from 1 to 3 if you are integrating with respect to the x axis?

nevermind, I've got it! sorry for my faulty answer and thank you for correcting my mistake.

No problem. We all make mistakes at least once in a while...

oh... now i noticed my problem.

4x - x^2 = 3
0 = x^2 - 4x + 3
0 = (x-3)(x-1)

x = 1 and 3

Tiredness really made my brain crazy.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylindrical shell?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylindrical shell is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the shell.

2. How do you find the radius of a cylindrical shell?

To find the radius of a cylindrical shell, you can use the equation of the curve y = 4x - x^2 to determine the distance from the x-axis to the curve at the point where x = 1. This distance will be the radius of the base of the shell.

3. How do you find the height of a cylindrical shell?

The height of a cylindrical shell is the difference between the y-values of the two equations y = 4x - x^2 and y = 3. In this case, the height would be 4x - x^2 - 3.

4. What is the significance of x = 1 in this problem?

X = 1 represents the axis of rotation for the cylindrical shell. This means that the shell will be rotated around the x = 1 line to create the 3-dimensional shape.

5. Can the formula for finding the volume of a cylindrical shell be applied to any shape?

No, the formula for finding the volume of a cylindrical shell can only be applied to shapes that are formed by rotating a curve around a fixed axis. This is because the formula relies on the concept of a radius and height, which are specific to cylindrical shapes.