Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical tank

1. Feb 11, 2004 #1
    I have been stumped on this question for two days~!~
    I am not even sure this is where to post this, but any answers or ideas or anything are greatly appreciated!! the question is
    'CALCULATE THE HEIGHT OF A CYLINDRICAL TANK FILLED WITH WATER HAVING A MASS OF 1587.0 KG. THE DIAMETER OF THE TANK IS 3.2 METERS, PLEASE HAVE THE ANSWER IN METERS'. I cant seem to convert the kilograms into meters, or I cant even find the height equation for this?~~!! Any ideas?? thanks so much!! shelli

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2004 #2
    V=pi*r^2*h
    volume = mass/density
    1L = .001 m^3 (thanks for pointing that out turin :smile:)

Just assume the tank is just made of water with no container.. makes it easier

(edited)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  4. Feb 11, 2004 #3

turin

Homework Helper

I'm not sure, but I think you might want to be a little careful with your units (ρwater ~ 1 kg/L); I got a very different answer for h. Oh, and double check your formula for volume (the factor of 2?). Otherwise, I agree with your procedure.

I have Vcyl = πr2h (Abase x height).

Solving algebraically for h and then using the definition of density and stuff, I got h = 0.20 m. This seems reasonable since a 3.2 m wide cylindrical tank is the area of several bath tubs, and 0.20 m of water in them would be pretty heavy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  5. Feb 11, 2004 #4
    ah, you're right, I was thinking of the circumference and accidentally threw in the 2

6. Feb 11, 2004 #5
    Right on, that helps immensely, and even makes sense. Thanks for lending out your brains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?