1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical tank

1. Feb 11, 2004 #1
    I have been stumped on this question for two days~!~
    I am not even sure this is where to post this, but any answers or ideas or anything are greatly appreciated!! the question is
    'CALCULATE THE HEIGHT OF A CYLINDRICAL TANK FILLED WITH WATER HAVING A MASS OF 1587.0 KG. THE DIAMETER OF THE TANK IS 3.2 METERS, PLEASE HAVE THE ANSWER IN METERS'. I cant seem to convert the kilograms into meters, or I cant even find the height equation for this?~~!! Any ideas?? thanks so much!! shelli

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2004 #2
    V=pi*r^2*h
    volume = mass/density
    1L = .001 m^3 (thanks for pointing that out turin :smile:)

Just assume the tank is just made of water with no container.. makes it easier

(edited)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  4. Feb 11, 2004 #3

turin

Homework Helper

I'm not sure, but I think you might want to be a little careful with your units (ρwater ~ 1 kg/L); I got a very different answer for h. Oh, and double check your formula for volume (the factor of 2?). Otherwise, I agree with your procedure.

I have Vcyl = πr2h (Abase x height).

Solving algebraically for h and then using the definition of density and stuff, I got h = 0.20 m. This seems reasonable since a 3.2 m wide cylindrical tank is the area of several bath tubs, and 0.20 m of water in them would be pretty heavy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  5. Feb 11, 2004 #4
    ah, you're right, I was thinking of the circumference and accidentally threw in the 2

6. Feb 11, 2004 #5
    Right on, that helps immensely, and even makes sense. Thanks for lending out your brains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?