1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical triple integral

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use cylindrical coordinates to evaluate the triple integral (over E) [tex]sqrt(x^2+y^2) dV[/tex] , where E is the solid bounded by the circular paraboloid z=9−16(x^2+y^2) and the xy plane.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is really bugging me... Is this the correct setup for the integral?

0 < z < 9 - 16r^2
    0 < r < 3/4
    0 < theta < 2pi

[tex]\int_0^{3/4}\int_0^{9-16r^2}\int_0^{2pi}r^2(d\theta,dz,dr)[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2
    Your integral looks funny...might want to adjust the formatting somewhat.
    1. Order of integration - please write your integrals in the correct order, or else you are going to get nonsense for your answer when you integrate outwards.
    2. The function you are integrating is r^2, not r.

4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    Yep, that's all fixed now. Learning latex for the first time. Does this look good? It's not giving me the correct answer according to WeBWorK.

5. Jan 15, 2010 #4
    Hm...the order of integration is wrong. You must integrate wrt z first before integrating wrt r, because the bound of z is dependent on the value of r. If you integrate in the order above, you will end up with r in your final expression.

[tex]
    \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{3/4}\int_0^{9-16r^2}\,\,r\,\,r \,dz\, dr\, d\theta

[/tex]

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5
    Once again my bad, the E is actually sqrt(x^2 + y^2) = r... :S

I did it your way before (with r^2 as the integrating function) and I still got the wrong answer.

7. Jan 15, 2010 #6
    Hmm....what does the WeBwork thingy say the correct answer is? The integral looks correct to me

8. Jan 15, 2010 #7
    It works! Ty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook