Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cymbal Bronze Beta Phases

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    I am researching Turkish cymbal making technology and I discovered and learned that they made in beta phase.
    Beta phase comes within % 23 to % 25 tin ratio and 625 to 780 - not exactly , you must look to diagram - degrees heat.
    I found few phase diagrams and it seems to me there is only one beta phase in diagrams , very norrow triangle.
    But I found some chat about beta phases and they are talking about beta 1 or beta 2 and others.
    Do you know how many strange beta phases hidden inside B diagram ?
    And is it enough to heat the disc to cherry red and put in to the water or is there a time to wait as necessary waiting time ?

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
    Istanbul

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    Hi Mustafa....we seem to be on a similar path. I know from casting bronze that when you cool it quickly it becomes easier to work (soft) and I have heard that if you hold it at high temperature for say half an hour it becomes much harder than you would expect. So maybe the benefit of holding it at that temperature may be lost by the quick cooling that follows....or it may make it a stronger cymbal......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook