1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D/dt |r(t)| = (1/|r(t)|) r(t)dot r'(t) [this has been posted before.I need more help]

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If vector r(t) is not 0, show that d/dt |r(t)| = (1/|r(t)|) r(t)dot r'(t).

2. Relevant equations

The hint given was that |r(t)|^2 = r(t) dot r(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

the post I saw about this question said that you should take the derivatives of both sides of the hint equation using chain rule, so I got:

2|r(t)|(1)=r'(t) dot r(t) + r(t) dot r'(t)
    which is equal to:
    |r(t)|= r'(t) dot r(t)

aaaaand now I don't know what to do

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2
    Re: d/dt |r(t)| = (1/|r(t)|) r(t)dot r'(t) [this has been posted before.I need more h

This step is incorrect. You have the equivalent of f(g(x)) -- the chain rule says d/dx f(g(x)) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Re: d/dt |r(t)| = (1/|r(t)|) r(t)dot r'(t) [this has been posted before.I need more h

Okay, now I'm confused... in this situation, wouldn't f'(g(x)) be equivalent to 2|r(t)| and g'(x) be equivalent to 0 because |r(t)| is a length and the derivative of a number is 0? So then it would be 2|r(t)|(0)=r'(t) dot r(t) + r(t) dot r'(t) --> 0=r'(t) dot r(t) + r(t) dot r'(t)?
    If this is right, then I still don't know where to go from here.

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

No. |r(t)| has t dependence. Accordingly, we can't assume the magnitude is constant.

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5

Oh man...I totally get it now...i feel kinda dumb :P
    the derivative would just be:
    2|r(t)|d/dt|r(t)|= r'(t) dot r(t) + r(t) dot r'(t)
    2|r(t)|d/dt|r(t)|= 2(r'(t) dot r(t))
    |r(t)|d/dt|r(t)|= r'(t) dot r(t)
    d/dt|r(t)|=(1/|r(t)|) ( r'(t) dot r(t))

Thanks for letting me waste your time :)

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6

No problem. Glad to have helped. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook