Calculating Partial Derivative of Log(x^2+y^2) w/r/t x

• Thread starter Somefantastik
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed the process of taking the partial derivative of log(x^2 + y^2) with respect to x and the potential need for a change of base to log_e before performing the partial derivative. We also looked at the second partial derivative and how it can be used to show harmonicity using the Laplacian.
Somefantastik
I'm trying to get

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} log(x^{2} + y^{2}) [/tex]

let z = x2+y2

Do I need to do a change of base to go from log10z to logez before I can do the partial w.r.t. x?

That would make it

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} log(x^{2} + y^{2}) = \frac{1}{x^{2}+y^{2}} \ (2x) \ (log_{10}e)[/tex]

Does this look right?

Then

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}(log(x^{2}+y^{2})) = - \frac{1.72x^{2}}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{2}} + 0.86(x^{2}+y^{2}) [/tex]

?? that doesn't look right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Somefantastik said:
Do I need to do a change of base to go from log10z to logez before I can do the partial w.r.t. x?

That would make it

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} log(x^{2} + y^{2}) = \frac{1}{x^{2}+y^{2}} \ (2x) \ (log_{10}e)[/tex]

Hi Somefantastik! :smile:

Yes, that's fine …

logab = [tex]\frac{log_eb}{log_a}[/tex]

and of course logab = 1/logba :wink:
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}(log(x^{2}+y^{2})) = - \frac{1.72x^{2}}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{2}} + 0.86(x^{2}+y^{2}) [/tex]

?? that doesn't look right.

ha ha!

how about [tex]\frac{0.86}{(x^{2}+y^{2})} [/tex] ? :smile:
(and then of course combine both fractions into one)

Hello tiny-tim, from the sunny south [usa] :)

That gives -0.86 /(x2 + y2)

It just seems like a weird number to me.

That's going to be the same number for the partial with respect to y, isn't it?

They should cancel out; I'm trying to show that this is a harmonic using the laplacian.

Hi Somefantastik! :smile:
Somefantastik said:
That's going to be the same number for the partial with respect to y, isn't it?

They should cancel out; I'm trying to show that this is a harmonic using the laplacian.

Yup …

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}\ +\ \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}}\right)(log(x^{2}+y^{2})) = - \frac{1.72(x^{2}\,+\,y^2)}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{2}}\ +\ 0.86/(x^{2}+y^{2})\ +\ + 0.86/(x^{2}+y^{2})\ =\ 0\ [/tex] :wink:

1. What is the formula for calculating the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x?

The formula for calculating the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x is 2x/(x^2+y^2).

2. How do you calculate the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x?

To calculate the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x, you need to use the quotient rule of differentiation and then simplify the resulting expression.

3. Can the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x be simplified?

Yes, the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x can be simplified to 2x/(x^2+y^2).

4. What does the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x represent?

The partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function with respect to x at a specific point on the graph.

5. Is the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x always positive?

No, the partial derivative of log(x^2+y^2) with respect to x can be either positive or negative, depending on the values of x and y. This is because the function is a logarithm, and its derivative can be either positive or negative depending on the input values.