1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D.E. laplace inverses

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two problems i cant figure out , laplace inverse of 1/(s^2-6s+10) and laplace inverse of s/(s+1)^2

2. Relevant equations

I use the table of laplace transforms in my book

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first one i did the quadratic formula to solve for s but i still couldnt figure out the answeer

And the second one i split up the denominator and was thinkin a=-1 and b=-1 but i didnt get the right answer....im really having a hard timewith this stuff i feel like im making it harder than it really is please help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the first, 1/(s^2-6s+10) = 1/( (s - 3)2 + 1). You can think of this as F(s - 3), where F(s) = 1/(s2 + 1). I think this is the direction you should take, but I haven't worked this one through.

For the second one, I don't think you set up your partial fraction decomposition correctly. If you wrote it as
    $$\frac{s}{(s + 1)^2} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{B}{s+1}$$

that is incorrect.
    It should be

$$\frac{s}{(s + 1)^2} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{B}{(s+1)^2}$$

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    ya i realized the first one you have to complete the square but for i haven't reworked the second one i'll try the partial fractions and see if it works out......thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook