1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D-orbital splitting diagrams

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch d-orbital splitting diagrams for a complex in Td symmetry and a complex in D4h symmetry. Label the orbitals as bonding, antibonding, or non-bonding

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know that in Td symmetry, the d-orbitals split into a lower doubly-degenerate and an upper triply-degenerate level. Also, in D4h symmetry, the d-orbitals split as follows (from low to high energy): doubly-degenerate (xz, yz), singly-degenerate (z^2), singly-degenerate (xy), singly-degenerate (x^2-y^2).

However, I'm not sure how I am supposed to assign bonding characters to these diagrams: for Td, would the lower level simply be sigma and the upper be sigma*? And for the D4h case, would the ordering be as follows: sigma, pi, non-bonding, sigma*/pi*? I'm just taking a guess here - I'm really not sure how to approach this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted