D orbitals first ionisation energy

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
Hi, may i know why is the first row of the d orbitals (starting from scandium to zinc) should such a weird graph of ionization energy against number of protons? Here the proton number 22 element (titanium) has a higher ionization energy than the proton number 23 element (Vanadium). It is not half filled or fully filled. What's the reason?

Answers and Replies

GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi, may i know why is the first row of the d orbitals (starting from scandium to zinc) should such a weird graph of ionization energy against number of protons? Here the proton number 22 element (titanium) has a higher ionization energy than the proton number 23 element (Vanadium). It is not half filled or fully filled. What's the reason?

Probably has something to do with the additional shielding of the valence electrons with the extra electron in the d shell thus causing the IE to become slightly more negative ... Not certain about this.

hmmm i guess not, cause the d shell is filled while going across it. Any other answers anyone?

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What shell do you think the electron comes out of during the ionization of the transition metals?

Hint: Aufbau is NOT your friend in this case.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Probably has something to do with the additional shielding of the valence electrons with the extra electron in the d shell thus causing the IE to become slightly more negative ... Not certain about this.

Correct!

d shell