D(x,A) = inf{||x-a|| | a=A}

• Thread starter ThankYou
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not familiar enough with Cauchy test for limits to advise you on that. However, you could also try using the definition of continuity and show that for any epsilon > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that for all x in R^n, if ||x-y|| < delta, then |f(x)-f(y)| < epsilon. You can use the fact that d(x,A) and d(y,A) are close if x and y are close, since A is a closed set. You can also use the fact that the distance between two points is always positive to show that the denominator is non-zero. Overall, the key is to use the properties of closed and disjoint sets to show that f(x
ThankYou

Homework Statement

[tex]\underline{x} [/tex] point in [tex] R^{n} A \subset R^{n}[/tex]
the distanse between [tex] \underline{x}[/tex] to A is definde as [tex] d(\underline{x},A) = \left\{ inf{||\underline{x} = \underline{a}|| | a \in A \right\}[/tex]

A,B are closed Disjoint sets in R^{n} we define [tex]f(\underline{x}) = \frac{d(\underline{x},B)}{d(\underline{x},A) + d(\underline{x},B)}[/tex]

to each [tex]\underline{x} \subset R^{n}[/tex] and [tex]\underline{y} \subset R^{n} [/tex] [tex]

|d(\underline{x},A)-d(\underline{y},A)| \leq||\underline{x}-\underline{y}||[/tex]

Prove that [tex]f(\underline{x})[/tex] Continuous

Homework Equations

everything in calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I've tried with Cauchy test for limits of function but this does not give me a Continuous function..
from there I am A bit stuck.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show the function g(x) = d(x,E) is continuous for any set E, then the sum of such functions must be continuous, and the quotient as well, where it is defined. And use the disjointness and closedness to show your function is defined everywhere (the denominator is non-zero).

Thank you
I know that I need to prove that g(x) = d(x,E) in any set.
This is why I said I tried with Cauchy test for limits, But I did not managed to do it.
Any idea of who to prove this?
Thank you.

The last part about x and y is a pretty big hint for how to prove continuity

1. What does the notation D(x,A) represent?

The notation D(x,A) represents the distance between the point x and the set A. It is also known as the distance function.

2. What does "inf" mean in the equation?

"inf" stands for infimum, which is the greatest lower bound of a set. In this case, it represents the minimum distance between the point x and the set A.

3. What does ||x-a|| mean?

||x-a|| represents the Euclidean distance between the point x and the point a. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared differences between each coordinate of x and a.

4. How is the distance function used in science?

The distance function is used in various scientific disciplines, including mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is used to measure the distance between objects or points in a given space, and is often used in optimization and clustering algorithms.

5. Can the distance function be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the distance function can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it is commonly used in multidimensional spaces to measure the distance between points in n-dimensional space.