1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DA/dt of expanding circle

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) if A is the area of circle with radius r and the circle expands as time passes, find dV/dt in terms of dr/dt
    b)Suppose oil spills from a ruptured ranker and spreads in a circular pattern. If the radius of the oil spill increases at a constant rate of 1 m/s, how fast is the area of the spill increasing when the radius is 30 m?

2. Relevant equations

A=(pi)r2

3. The attempt at a solution

dA/dt= ((pi)r2)'=(r2+2(pi)r)

dA/dt= ((pi)2(30) + 302)

is this correct? it seems like an awfully big number what have I done wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2
    oh wait I am treating pi like a variable not a constant. durh

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    so dA/dt = 2*30*pi

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got it dA/dt=pi*2*r*dr/dt.

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5
    OK so I would need to have multiplied 2*pi*r*1m/s but since its one it doesn't matter but that is what is happening correct?

I am multiplying the derivative of the expression by the derivative of r?

7. Oct 24, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It matters if you are keeping track of units. That's where the m/s came from.

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are using the chain rule. d/dt(f(r))=d/dr(f(r))*dr/dt. You knew that, right?

9. Oct 24, 2009 #8
    I know that now. I missed a good couple classes (long story short) because I had no other choice. Now I am trying to catchup. I guess I better do some reading..thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook