Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DAC accuracy

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1

I've run an experiment on an active filter. I am using the NI Elvis prototyping board. The frequency response is taken with the NI Bode analyzer and I saved the output data in a text file. The Bode analyzer amplitude spec is give as 12 or 16 bits, how do I calculate the amplitude error using the 12 bit accuracy spec? The measurements are in dB.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

This sounds like homework. What are your thoughts? In the *real world* the error will depend on the noise environment. In the *homework world* there may be no noise....
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3

It is homework in the sense I'm writing up a lab on did on an active filter and I have to take into account the measurement error of the output. The spec was very vague to me, the Bode analyzer had an amplitude error of 12 bits. I just need a reasonable calculation to the error in reading the amplitude of the output of the filter.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?