Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault

• Appliances
  • Thread starter Guineafowl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fault fridge
In summary, the Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge has a shutdown fault that causes the fridge to unexpectedly turn off and stop cooling. This issue can be caused by a faulty thermostat, compressor, or control board, and may require professional repair. To restart the fridge, users can try unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it back in. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent this issue from occurring.
Guineafowl
TL;DR Summary
An apparently common fault where the fridge shuts down randomly. I couldn’t find a solution online, so am posting here for others.
Symptoms: Random shutdown of entire fridge/freezer, blank display. Restarts after a variable interval. Power cycling doesn’t seem to help.

Forums etc., suggest ‘replacing motherboard’ (on top) but this is often expensive and may not be available.

I managed to catch it in shutdown, and found the 12V, 16V and 5V rails were pulsing up and down (chirping power supply). When it was running, these rails would sag if lots of fans were running.

The full service manual is here: http://www.de-direct.co.uk/downloadb2b/smref/FRS2021.pdf

The fault is in the power supply:
7CB477AB-FA77-4692-BC94-63E8C72F75CA.png

The switching controller STR G6352 is inadequately heat-sinked. Replace it, and add some heat-sink compound.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing the full service manual and your findings. It seems like the issue is indeed with the power supply, specifically with the STR G6352. It's great that you were able to catch it in shutdown and identify the problem. Replacing the inadequate heat-sink and adding heat-sink compound should fix the issue and prevent any future shutdowns. Thank you for providing a cost-effective solution instead of immediately suggesting replacing the motherboard. I will definitely keep this in mind if I encounter a similar issue with my fridge/freezer.

1. What is the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault"?

The "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault" is a common issue that occurs in certain models of Daewoo refrigerators. It is a malfunction that causes the fridge to shut down unexpectedly and stop cooling.

2. What causes the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault"?

The main cause of the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault" is a faulty defrost timer. This timer controls when the fridge goes into defrost mode, and if it malfunctions, it can cause the fridge to shut down completely.

3. How can I fix the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault"?

The best way to fix the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault" is to replace the defrost timer. This can be done by a professional technician or by following the instructions in the fridge's manual. It is important to make sure the fridge is unplugged before attempting any repairs.

4. Can I prevent the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault" from happening?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault", there are some steps you can take to reduce the risk. Regularly cleaning and maintaining the fridge, including checking the defrost timer for any signs of wear or damage, can help prevent this issue from occurring.

5. Are there any other possible causes of the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault"?

In some cases, the "Daewoo FRS 2021 fridge shutdown fault" may be caused by a faulty temperature control board or a malfunctioning compressor. If the defrost timer has been replaced and the issue still persists, it is best to consult a professional technician for further diagnosis and repair.

Back