Daily dose of idiocy

  • #1
russ_watters
Mentor
19,341
5,381

Main Question or Discussion Point

The English language does not contain words to adequetely describe the depth of the idiocy in this pic...
 

Attachments

Answers and Replies

  • #2
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
5,066
7
Can I slap who did this?
 
  • #3
1,134
7
Can I watch?
 
  • #4
russ_watters
Mentor
19,341
5,381
FredGarvin said:
Can I slap who did this?
I'd have some difficulty finding the offender, but one way or another he (she?) worked for MTV.
 
  • #5
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
51
What was that supposed to be locking? I can think of a few situations where that wouldn't be complete idiocy, one of them being to lock an animal pen or stall. Especially when I worked with goats, they could open any latch you'd put on their pen door, so we had to resort to padlocks. This presents an obvious safety problem in case of fire if you need to release animals quickly. Our solution was to hang the key on a nearby wall that was out of reach of the goats, but a combination lock with the combination posted would have done the job too. Likewise, you might do this on a gate to your backyard if you had to lock it to keep the dog in, but weren't concerned with security (usually having a dog locked in the yard takes care of the security issue).
 
  • #6
russ_watters
Mentor
19,341
5,381
Moonbear said:
What was that supposed to be locking? I can think of a few situations where that wouldn't be complete idiocy, one of them being to lock an animal pen or stall. Especially when I worked with goats, they could open any latch you'd put on their pen door, so we had to resort to padlocks. This presents an obvious safety problem in case of fire if you need to release animals quickly.
Well, lets see if it's analagous: this lock secured the roof access trap door of "The Real World: Philadelphia" apartment. So I guess it was it was intended to keep the cast members off the roof. So...animals....pen.... yeah, maybe it fits....
 
  • #7
DaveC426913
Gold Member
18,606
2,068
russ_watters said:
The English language does not contain words to adequetely describe the depth of the idiocy in this pic...
As a usability/interface specialist, I apply the same criteria to this as all other situations: context!

This may look idiotic, but you never know. Moonbear has pointed out a perfect example of a context in which this would make perfect sense. Whether or not that is the case is irrelevant. A single possible situation is sufficient to point out that context is essential to meaning.



Oh, and it does accomplish one other thing:

No one will enter/exit that area accidentally. If they're in there, it's because they meant to be; no claims of ignorance when they're caught. Think of fire doors. They don't stop you from exiting, but they do their best to ensure you don't use them accidentally.
 
  • #8
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
5,066
7
From a safety standpoint, they would get reamed for that. In a real emergency, you would, most like, not be able to do a lock combination. We go through this crap in an industrial environment all the time. There has to be an emergency exit that is unobstructed.
 
  • #9
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
51
russ_watters said:
Well, lets see if it's analagous: this lock secured the roof access trap door of "The Real World: Philadelphia" apartment. So I guess it was it was intended to keep the cast members off the roof. So...animals....pen.... yeah, maybe it fits....
FredGarvin said:
From a safety standpoint, they would get reamed for that. In a real emergency, you would, most like, not be able to do a lock combination. We go through this crap in an industrial environment all the time. There has to be an emergency exit that is unobstructed.
So, they actually locked people inside? That is incredibly stupid! Aside from FredGarvin's point, if it was a real emergency, and you've got people piled against a roof exit trying to get out, that time it takes to dial the combination, if you can (was it even on their side or on the other side where someone had to get to them from the outside?) be it from panic or inability to see clearly in a dark or smoke-filled stairwell, could be the difference between escaping or not. I didn't even like having to lock goats in a pen because it was doubtful whether they could be released quickly enough in an emergency, but in that case, it was the difference between injury in a possible fire vs more likely injury to them AND people if they escaped and ran into the nearby road with heavy traffic.
 
  • #10
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15
If you wanted something that could be easily opened by a human yet impossible for any other creature, why not just one of those hitch-like locks? YOu know where its kind of like a chain but one end of the chain has a hitch to it where you pull down this metal lever and the chain link opens up and when you released it, it closes again. Not sure how else i can describe it lol but i think you understand the simplicity of the system.
 
  • #11
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
51
Pengwuino said:
If you wanted something that could be easily opened by a human yet impossible for any other creature, why not just one of those hitch-like locks? YOu know where its kind of like a chain but one end of the chain has a hitch to it where you pull down this metal lever and the chain link opens up and when you released it, it closes again. Not sure how else i can describe it lol but i think you understand the simplicity of the system.
I think I know what you're talking about, the spring-loaded chain latch. That was one of the first things we tried. Then again, they were slowly breaking a gate bolted into concrete walls free, so we were lucky anything kept them in. If I were to redesign the facility (not an option at the time), I'd have put them into pens designed for cattle, not goats. A latch something like the one on this site: http://www.noblepanels.com/latches.htm that's labeled "special lever latch" probably would work, though not quite the one shown there. They could have opened something with a simple lever action. There are ones that you have to pull the bar back at top and bottom to release the latch, and the spring is pretty strong, so they could get the top or bottom loose, but not both at the same time. At the time, I just had to use the pens that were available to me. (These weren't your cute petting zoo variety goats, they were large, French-Alpine bucks hopped up on testosterone and they knew the females were next door).
 
  • #12
918
16
Moonbear said:
Our solution was to hang the key on a nearby wall that was out of reach of the goats, but a combination lock with the combination posted would have done the job too.
Keeping the key out of reach of the goats was a wise move. The thing with the combination won't work though unless you keep the posting where the goats can't see it.
 
  • #13
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
51
jimmysnyder said:
Keeping the key out of reach of the goats was a wise move. The thing with the combination won't work though unless you keep the posting where the goats can't see it.
:rofl: You must have some familiarity with goats! :rofl:
 
  • #14
Evo
Mentor
23,113
2,472
russ_watters said:
The English language does not contain words to adequetely describe the depth of the idiocy in this pic...
I don't understand, the lock is attached to one of those plastic tie things and isn't actually in use. Is someone supposed to use it to lock something in the event of an emergency? What are they supposed to lock and why?
 
  • #15
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
244
Evo said:
Is someone supposed to use it to lock something in the event of an emergency? What are they supposed to lock and why?
Given the programme involved, maybe a chastity belt?
 

Related Threads for: Daily dose of idiocy

  • Last Post
2
Replies
31
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
23
Views
3K
Replies
180
Views
16K
Replies
29
Views
3K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
57
Views
12K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
787
Top