Solve d'Alembert BVP with Boundary Conditions & f(x)=2x,g(x)=x

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the student is struggling with the boundary value problem for a string of unit length, subject to the given conditions. They are also struggling with the even/odd extension for the function g(x). They are not sure where to start and have been stuck on this problem for weeks. They are looking for help with the problem, but don't know where to start.
erok81

Homework Statement

Use d'Alembert's formula to solve the boundary value problem for a string of unit length, subject to the given conditions.

I can't get this to work with LaTeX so I hope this makes sense.

f(x) = 2x if 0 ≤ x ≤ 1/2
f(x) = 2(1-x) if 1/2 < x ≤ 1

g(x) = x
c=1

Homework Equations

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2}[f^{*}(x-ct)+f^{*}(x+ct)]+\frac{1}{2c}\int^{x+ct}_{x-ct}g^{*}(s)ds[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been able to do previous problems up until this one. Previous problems were all a single function that was 2 periodic. This one I am not sure where to start. I at least thought the g* wouldn't be too hard since it's only x, but there is an example that shows the same thing and they have completely different integration limits.

I think my whole problem is even/odd extensions. I am not the best at them and plan to go back and study them again since they are a couple sections back.

Any tips to get this one even started?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually. I can write out/graph the odd extension of g(x)=x. But if I integrate that over a 2p-period I would get zero. :confused:

My text has an example where g*=x but it is on a interval 0 < x < 1.

So their integral comes out to be...

[tex]G(x)=\int^{x}_{-1}g^{*}(s) ds[/tex]

Since I don't have a range, I don't see how to integrate the odd extension and not get zero.

So I drew this out and it makes slightly more sense.

Here is where I am confused. g(x)=x. So is g*(x) only the odd extension of the entire thing? Because if it is only the odd extension then it makes sense it isn't zero. But do the integration limits change?

As for the f*(x) parts, I am still clueless. I don't see how the two intervals play into the solution form.
Edit...

So for the odd extension of g(x) I could set my limits as [-1,0]. But that still doesn't explain why the text has theirs [-1,x]. Unless I am just integrating from -1 to the function itself. That would give me the correct range then. Hmm...

Last edited:

What is the d'Alembert BVP with Boundary Conditions?

The d'Alembert BVP (Boundary Value Problem) is a mathematical problem that involves solving a second-order partial differential equation with given boundary conditions. It is named after French mathematician Jean le Rond d'Alembert.

What are Boundary Conditions?

Boundary conditions are mathematical equations that specify the values of the solution of a differential equation at the boundary points of the domain. In the case of the d'Alembert BVP, boundary conditions are given for both the dependent variable and its derivative at the boundary points.

What is the role of f(x) and g(x) in solving the d'Alembert BVP?

f(x) and g(x) are functions that represent the given boundary conditions in the d'Alembert BVP. They are used to determine the particular solution of the differential equation, which satisfies both the equation and the boundary conditions.

How do you solve the d'Alembert BVP with Boundary Conditions?

The d'Alembert BVP can be solved by applying the method of separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a product of two functions, one dependent on time and the other dependent on space. The boundary conditions are then used to determine the specific forms of these functions.

What are some applications of the d'Alembert BVP with Boundary Conditions?

The d'Alembert BVP has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of wave propagation, heat transfer, and diffusion. It is also used in the analysis of vibrating strings, membranes, and other mechanical systems.