1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D'Alembert's principle Help

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    Hi
    I need a bit of help with D'Alembert's principle, I'm after the equations to find the power in a car ascending a slope with fritional resistance. The example I will give is not my assignment question as I want to work that out for myself, but an example from a textbook that just gives me the answers and not the equations, but I cannot find a way using KE and PE to get it right.

A car of mass 800kg accelerates from rest to a speed of 50km/h in 10 seconds, while ascending an incline of 1 in 70. The rolling resistance is 150N. Assuming uniform acceleration, what is

1 the power developed at 30 km/h and
    2 the tractive effort

Answer to number 1 is 11.4KW, number 2 is another baffling question I’m afraid.

I have worked out that the acceleration is 1.389m/s and the distance travelled is 13.89

Any help gratefully received

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF mitch,

Power is simply the rate at which work is done. Therefore, if one could find the work done then calculation of the power would be trivial.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?