1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D'Alembert's solution

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    Friends,

I have seen the wave equation solved by changing the coordinates to
    u=x+ct and v=x-ct.

This is preposterous! Solve the wave equation by moving at the speed of light! Outlandish!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2
    Use the relativistic D'Alembert's solution then..

4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    Solution to what?

5. Nov 7, 2006 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Um, the 'c' is just the speed appearing in the wave equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}=\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

Could be the speed of sound or whatever. It depends on what the speed 'c' in your wave equation is.

6. Nov 7, 2006 #5
    Yes. Suppose c is the speed of sound. What is the effect of setting
    u=x-ct? You are changing to a frame that is travelling at the speed of sound. Suppose c is the speed of light. What is the effect of setting u=x-ct? You are changing to a frame that is travelling at the speed of ... of ...

7. Nov 7, 2006 #6

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But so what? It's just a change of variable that will help you solve the equation. It has nothing to do with violating relativity if that's what you're thinking of.

8. Nov 7, 2006 #7
    Fair enough. Let me counter. Suppose I solve a physics problem by changing to a frame where
    x= .99ct Can I do so with a clear conscience?

9. Nov 7, 2006 #8

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're not 'changing to a frame'. You introduce new variables u and v to help solve the differential equation. It's mathematics, not physics. Mathematically you can make c 20 times the speed of light and you'll still get a solution to the differential equation in the form F(x+ct)+G(x-ct). In a relativistic physical theory you wouldn't find something that obeys that wave equation with c greater than lightspeed so that's not an issue.

10. Nov 7, 2006 #9
    I understand perfectly now. Saying "my friend is at x=5" and then saying "let u=x-5. My friend is at u=0" is distinct from saying "I am where my friend is".

That said, maybe someone can help me understand the d'alembert solution to the schroedinger equation. I did this with u=x+ct, v=x-ct.
    Then I got nervous and changed the "c" to a "v".

Now I don't know what the h******ell to think.:confused:

11. Nov 13, 2006 #10
    ...light, because you're solving the wave equation for light. The solution is a light wave moving with the speed of light "c".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?