D'Alembert's Wave. Seems Easy Or Maybe I'm Missing Something?

• Thread starter mathfied
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, D'Alembert's Wave is a mathematical equation developed by Jean le Rond d'Alembert in the 18th century to describe the propagation of a wave through a medium. The equation is ∂^2u/∂t^2 = c^2(∂^2u/∂x^2 - ∂^2u/∂t^2), and it is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and study various types of waves. While it may require a background in calculus to fully understand, it has practical applications in predicting ocean waves, understanding seismic waves, and designing musical instruments.
mathfied
D'Alembert's Wave. Seems Easy Or Maybe I'm Missing Something?

Hi I have this D'Alembert's question. What I've done seems easy so I wanted to clarify just in case I'm missing something, cus it seems so easy. Second part I don't understand and would appreciate a guidance.

(PART A)

D'Alembert's Solution is:
[itex]z(x,t) = \frac{1}
{2}\left[ {F(x + ct) + F(x - ct)} \right] + \frac{1}
{{2c}}\int\limits_{x - ct}^{x + ct} {G(s)ds}[/itex]
of the one dimensional wave equation:
[itex]
\frac{{\partial ^2 z}}
{{\partial x^2 }} = \frac{1}
{{c^2 }}\frac{{\partial ^2 z}}
{{\partial t^2 }},{\text{ }} - \infty < x < \infty ,{\text{ t}} \geqslant {\text{0,}}[/itex]

with "c" a constant, when the initial conditions are:
[itex]z(x,0) = F(x),{\text{ }}z_t (x,0) = G(x),{\text{ }} - \infty < x < \infty[/itex]

Evaluate the solution if F(x)=0 for [itex]-\infty < x < \infty[/itex] and
[itex]G(x) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{\frac{1}
{{1 + x}}} & {\left\{ {{\text{x}} \geqslant {\text{0}}} \right\}} \\
{\text{0}} & {\left\{ {{\text{x}} < {\text{0}}} \right\}} \\

\end{array} } \right.[/itex]

(PART B)

Show the values of z(x,t) for t>0 in different regions of the (x,t)- plane. Show that the value of z(x,t) is continuous for all values of x and t, gives the correct initial value of [itex]z_t[/itex] and [itex]z_t \to 0[/itex] as |x|[itex]\to 0[/itex]

------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION TO PART A:
------------------------------------------------

GRAPH:
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1728/dalemberssolutionoy2.jpg [itex]
z(x,t) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{\int\limits_0^{x + ct} {\frac{1}
{{1 + x}}} } & {\left\{ {x + ct > 0,x - ct < 0} \right\}} & {{\text{Region I}}} \\
0 & {\{ x + ct < 0,x - ct < 0\} } & {{\text{Region II}}} \\
{\int\limits_{x - ct}^{x + ct} {\frac{1}
{{1 + x}}} } & {\{ x + ct > 0,x - ct > 0\} } & {{\text{Region III}}} \\

\end{array} } \right.[/itex]Working out region 1:
-----------------------
[itex]\begin{gathered}
{\text{Region I}}:{\text{ }}\int\limits_0^{x + ct} {\frac{1}
{{1 + x}}} = \left[ {\ln (1 + x)} \right]_0^{x + ct} \hfill \\
= \ln (1 + x + ct) - \ln 1 \hfill \\
= \ln \left( {\frac{{1 + x + ct}}
{1}} \right) = \ln (1 + x + ct) \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/itex]Working out region 2:
-----------------------
Region 2 = 0.Working out region 3:
-----------------------
[itex]\begin{gathered}
{\text{Region III: }}\int\limits_{x - ct}^{x + ct} {\frac{1}
{{1 + x}}} = \left[ {\ln (1 + x)} \right]_{x - ct}^{x + ct} \hfill \\
= \ln (1 + x + ct) - \ln (1 + x - ct) \hfill \\
= \ln \left( {\frac{{1 + x + ct}}
{{1 + x - ct}}} \right) \hfill \\
\end{gathered}[/itex]

FINAL SOLUTION:
-----------------------------

[itex]
z(x,t) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{\ln (1 + x + ct)} & {\left\{ {x + ct > 0,x - ct < 0} \right\}} & {{\text{Region I}}} \\
0 & {\{ x + ct < 0,x - ct < 0\} } & {{\text{Region II}}} \\
{\ln \left( {\frac{{1 + x + ct}}
{{1 + x - ct}}} \right)} & {\{ x + ct > 0,x - ct > 0\} } & {{\text{Region III}}} \\

\end{array} } \right.[/itex]
Thats part a done. As far as I know that's all there is to evaluating the question. Is there anythin else I need to add?PART B: any ideas on this please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

it's great to see that you have a good understanding of D'Alembert's solution and were able to evaluate it correctly for the given initial conditions. However, there are a few things you could add to your solution to make it more complete.

Firstly, in the solution for region I, it should be specified that x + ct > 0 and x - ct < 0, as these are the conditions for this region. Similarly, for region III, it should be mentioned that x + ct > 0 and x - ct > 0.

Secondly, for part B, you can show the values of z(x,t) for t > 0 in different regions of the (x,t) plane by plotting the graph of z(x,t) vs x for different values of t. This will give you a visual representation of how the solution behaves in different regions.

To show that the value of z(x,t) is continuous for all values of x and t, you can use the definition of continuity and show that the limit of z(x,t) as x approaches any value and t approaches any value is equal to the value of z(x,t) at that point. This will prove that the solution is continuous everywhere.

Similarly, to show that the initial value of z_t is correct, you can use the given initial conditions and take the derivative of z(x,t) with respect to t, and then substitute the values of x and t to show that it matches with the given initial value of z_t.

Finally, to show that z_t approaches 0 as |x| approaches 0, you can use the definition of a limit and show that the limit of z_t as |x| approaches 0 is equal to 0.

I hope this helps you in completing part B of your question. Keep up the good work and keep questioning! Science is all about exploring and finding answers to our questions. All the best!

1. What is D'Alembert's Wave?

D'Alembert's Wave is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of a wave through a medium. It was developed by French mathematician Jean le Rond d'Alembert in the 18th century.

2. What is the equation for D'Alembert's Wave?

The equation for D'Alembert's Wave is ∂2u/∂t2 = c2(∂2u/∂x2 - ∂2u/∂t2), where u represents the displacement of the wave, t represents time, and x represents position along the medium.

3. How is D'Alembert's Wave used?

D'Alembert's Wave is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and study the behavior of waves. It can be applied to various types of waves, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

4. Is D'Alembert's Wave easy to understand?

D'Alembert's Wave may seem easy to understand at first glance, but it involves complex mathematical concepts and may require a background in calculus to fully comprehend. However, with the right resources and guidance, it can be understood by anyone.

5. What are some real-world applications of D'Alembert's Wave?

D'Alembert's Wave has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of ocean waves, understanding the propagation of seismic waves in earthquakes, and designing musical instruments. It is also used in the study of optics, electromagnetism, and acoustics.