Dalitz plots & mass distributions

E_{X_{1}X_{2}} - E_{Y_{1}Y_{2}} + E_{Y_{2}})^2 - (\vec{p_{X_{1}}} + \vec{p_{X_{2}}} - \vec{p_{Y_{1}}} - \vec{p_{Y_{2}}} + \vec{p_{Y_{2}}})^2. Simplifying this expression, we get m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2 = m_{Y_{3}}^2 + m_{Y_{1}Y_{2}}^2 + 2(E_{X_{1}X_{2}}E_{Y_{3}} - \vec{
JonReeDO

Homework Statement

We are given a reaction [tex]X_{1} + X_{2} \rightarrow Y_{1} + Y_{2} + Y_{3}[/tex]. The quantities [tex]m_{Y_{1}Y_{2}}^2[/tex] and [tex]m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2[/tex] are plotted in a Dalitz plot. [tex]Y_{1}[/tex] + [tex]Y_{2}[/tex] resonate at a fixed mass [tex]m_{Y_{1}Y_{2}}[/tex].

Show how this resonance leads to a mass distribution for the "wrong pairing" of particles [tex]m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2[/tex] where [tex]m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2 = A + Bcos\theta[/tex]. [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are constants and [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the outgoing [tex]Y_{3}[/tex] and either [tex]Y_{1}[/tex] or [tex]Y_{2}[/tex]. What are [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex]?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure ... I think these are relevant:

In a 3-body system, we have, by definition, [tex]m_{13}^2 = (P_{1} + P_{3})^2 = (E_{1} + E_{3})^2 - (\vec{p_{1}} + \vec{p_{3}})^2 = m_{1}^2 + m_{3}^2 + 2(E_{1}E_{3} - p_{1}p_{3}cos\theta)[/tex]. So here's the [tex]\theta[/tex] between two particles.

The Dalitz plot plots [tex]m_{Y_{1}Y_{2}}^2[/tex] against [tex]m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2[/tex].

Comparing the particles going in and coming out, we can find the energy release [tex]Q[/tex], which is equal to the kinetic energies of the final state particles [tex]T_{i}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to show that [tex]m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2 = A + Bcos\theta[/tex] ... but I'm not understanding exactly where these values come from. I assume I need to somehow find [tex]m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2[/tex] in terms of the various variables above -- how do I do that? I'll also have [tex]\theta[/tex] in terms of the fixed masses -- and momenta and energies?

I don't think that'll give me enough to find [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex], except in terms of so many variables that I'm sure this approach is wrong. I'm probably quite a bit off the mark, but what am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your attempt at a solution. Let me try to explain it in a bit more detail.

First, let's define the variables we are working with. We have three particles in the final state, Y_{1}, Y_{2}, and Y_{3}. We know that the mass of Y_{1} and Y_{2} together resonates at a fixed mass, which we will call m_{Y_{1}Y_{2}}. This means that the energy of this pair of particles is constant, and we can write it as E_{Y_{1}Y_{2}} = \sqrt{m_{Y_{1}Y_{2}}^2 + \vec{p_{Y_{1}}}^2} + \sqrt{m_{Y_{1}Y_{2}}^2 + \vec{p_{Y_{2}}}^2}. This energy is also equal to the energy of the initial state particles, X_{1} and X_{2}, which we can write as E_{X_{1}X_{2}} = \sqrt{m_{X_{1}X_{2}}^2 + \vec{p_{X_{1}}}^2} + \sqrt{m_{X_{1}X_{2}}^2 + \vec{p_{X_{2}}}^2}.

Now, let's consider the third particle, Y_{3}. This particle has a mass m_{Y_{3}} and a momentum \vec{p_{Y_{3}}}. We can use the conservation of momentum and energy to write the energy and momentum of Y_{3} in terms of the other particles: E_{Y_{3}} = E_{X_{1}X_{2}} - E_{Y_{1}Y_{2}} and \vec{p_{Y_{3}}} = \vec{p_{X_{1}}} + \vec{p_{X_{2}}} - \vec{p_{Y_{1}}} - \vec{p_{Y_{2}}}.

Now, we can use these expressions to write m_{Y_{2}Y_{3}}^2 = (E_{Y_{3}} + E_{Y_{2}})^2 - (\vec{p_{Y_{3}}} + \vec{p_{Y_{2}}})^2

1. What is a Dalitz plot?

A Dalitz plot is a graphical representation of the distribution of energy and momentum in the decay of a particle into two or more particles. It shows the relationship between the masses of the particles and the angles between them, allowing for the study of particle interactions and the identification of new particles.

2. How are Dalitz plots used in particle physics?

Dalitz plots are used to study the properties of particles, including their masses, decay rates, and spin. By analyzing the shape and structure of the plot, scientists can gain insight into the underlying physics of the particle interactions.

3. What is a mass distribution?

A mass distribution is a histogram or graph that shows the number of events or particles as a function of their mass. It is often used in conjunction with Dalitz plots to analyze the decay of particles and identify new particles.

4. How are mass distributions related to Dalitz plots?

The mass distribution is a projection of the Dalitz plot onto one axis, showing the distribution of events or particles with a specific mass. By comparing the mass distribution to the Dalitz plot, scientists can better understand the decay process and the properties of the particles involved.

5. What information can be obtained from analyzing Dalitz plots and mass distributions?

By analyzing Dalitz plots and mass distributions, scientists can determine the masses and properties of particles, study their decay modes, and search for new particles or interactions that may be present. This information can help to further our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the laws of physics that govern them.