Damage caused by ball lightning

In summary: The luminosity of theBL was about 10 000 times stronger than the natural light in the room.The ball had an energy of 16 MJ.2. (Kuromiya 1999, no. 2) A ball lightning was observed that was estimated to have anenergetic magnitude of about 500 MJ.3. (Grigor’ev 1990, no. 6) A ball lightning was observed that was estimated to have anenergetic magnitude of about 1 000 MJ.4. (Kuromiya 1999, no. 6) A ball lightning was observed that was estimated to have anenergetic magnitude of about 1 500 MJ.5. (Saunders
As for bl passing through cracks in doors and windows and the like, that wouldn't seem to explain how it might, for example, enter a commercial airliner while in flight, and roll down the passenger aisle.

Generally it is thought that bl can pass through solid objects such as windows, stove pipes, and aircraft bodies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please forgive a may be over enthusiastic spate of postings, my interest in this subject is intense, and i forget that others may not have the same enthusiasm.

Ivan Seeking said:
As for bl passing through cracks in doors and windows and the like, that wouldn't seem to explain how it might, for example, enter a commercial airliner while in flight, and roll down the passenger aisle.

Generally it is thought that bl can pass through solid objects such as windows, stove pipes, and aircraft bodies.

It seems to be more than this "ability': it seems to seek the interior of any available enclosed space. That might mean it seeks calmer places, or it might mean it seeks lower or higher pressure places. Maybe you can think of other differences found in interiors as opposed to the open atmosphere. A generally different ambient charge?

Last edited:
wolram said:
Please forgive a may be over enthusiastic spate of postings, my interest in this subject is intense, and i forget that others may not have the same enthusiasm.

Sorry, Wolram. It was the "door to new science" thing. I think it's all perfectly classical, just very unusual.

I think i am only interested in EBLs now, if they exsist, the other forms of BL are more a side show, and i think are a group of totaly different phenomena.

wolram said:
I think i am only interested in EBLs now, if they exsist, the other forms of BL are more a side show, and i think are a group of totaly different phenomena.

"EBLs"? What's the E stand for?

Perhaps related, there is another form of lightning called "bead lightning"
http://www.britannica.com/eb/art-50963/Three-frames-from-a-motion-picture-film-of-bead-lightning?articleTypeId=1

EBL is extreme ball lightning, which is mostly what we have been talking about - high energy, long life, causes damage or even death, can pass through solid objects, etc. However, I think that any true distinction is conjecture at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres some very good info on a lot of IEEE papers about ball lighning, i think they have recently released some new ones in their august papers, i'll have a look for them when I've got a minute. Coincidentally Senior Member of the IEEE Dr. VanDevender who has studied plasmaspheres, especially EBL type, and he has made a detailed list of EBL's characteristics, and what damage, you would expect to see from it.

"VanDevender distinguished extreme ball lightning (EBL) by the following characteristics:
• it glows in air;
• it originates from nothing visible;
• it lasts between 10 and 1200 seconds;
• it floats at about 1 meter/second;
• it is lethal or potentially lethal;
• it causes significant damage;
• it contains energy estimated at 100,000 to 1 billion Joules, far in excess of the energy density attributable to chemicals or electrostatics;
• it penetrates walls, glass and metal, generally without leaving a hole;
• it induces large currents but is in radial force equilibrium;
• it leaves black streaks on corpses without the spasm of electrocution;
• it can excavate tons of earth. "

found at; http://www.thunderbolts.info/webnews/ieee_plasma_balllightening.htm

another interestng thing i noticed from an IEEE paper is that increasing the current into the balls increases their diameter http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?tp=&arnumber=605182&isnumber=13168. I wonder what the maximum size of an artificially created one would be?

Last edited:
Thanks RA.

Reading about normal lightning , Gamma rays have been detected before the strike, some prefer to call them X rays, this to me shows that some high energy particles could create high energy ball lightning in the atmosphere some how.

http://www.aip.org/pnu/2007/split/841-2.html

Last edited by a moderator: