Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damn, that's one big airplane.

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    Putting size into context. It's as big as an 8 lane roadway, sheesh. Those engines could swallow up cars.
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2
    Here is a 777 for comparison:

[​IMG]

4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    And Props go out to Air bus for creating a plane that will have limited airports it can fly to because it is so honking big and heavy. Great business sense.

5. Apr 16, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

There are a lot of airports in the world that are putting big money into their infrastructures to accomodate these aircraft. There is a major camp in the airline business that thinks that massive aircraft are going to be the only way the companys are going to survive. Of course, I think they are dead wrong. The smaller commuter lines are going to be the wave of the future (at least in the US anyways). We shall see.

Didn't someone a while ago post a comparisson between the A380 and the Spruce Goose? It was still smaller than the Spruce Goose which should give you a bit of insight into what Howard Hughes really accomplished.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...ant+Plane+Comparison.jpg&sbid=lc01a&linktext=

6. Apr 16, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The A380 looks like a 747 on steroids. :rofl:

7. Apr 16, 2006 #6
  8. Apr 16, 2006 #7

DM

Easyjet and Ryanair (both small airlines) here in the UK prove your point rather well. They're making very good profit without the need of investing on massive airliners. I have come to believe however that airliners are rather pivotal for the demands of our society. Jumbo jets nowadays exist to satisfy the apparent urge and need of getting on one plane only to get to your desired destination (longhaul flights of course). Moreover airliners such as the 744 and A380 have been manufactured to stay, unlike the concorde.

9. Apr 16, 2006 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I agree that the long flights, trans oceantic etc... are always going to be the realm of the big ships. I guess the business models will have to take into account what they think the future international travel will be like. I agree that they will never go away, but I think they're required numbers are very limited.

10. Apr 16, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

11. Apr 16, 2006 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How come half the cars in the A380 picture have drifted out of their lanes? :rofl:

12. Apr 16, 2006 #11
    It is a 747 on steroids.

13. Apr 16, 2006 #12

dav2008

Gold Member

As long as we're posting plane pictures

[​IMG]

14. Apr 16, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah what's with these drivers, are they just in utter shock at how big it is that they get into crashes? :rofl: :rofl:

15. Apr 16, 2006 #14
    No, the engines are sucking the cars into it. Notice only the cars forward of the engines are drifting :rofl:

16. Apr 16, 2006 #15
    Another big bird (bigger than the A380, actually),

[​IMG]

17. Apr 16, 2006 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That Airliners Net is a pretty cool site. I love this picture! :rofl:

18. Apr 16, 2006 #17

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

19. Apr 16, 2006 #18
    I like this one, you can feel the G forces

[​IMG]

20. Apr 16, 2006 #19
    I love this shot too, it's good for a wall paper

[​IMG]

I know about bird strike, but people strike?

[​IMG]

Balls of steel my friend, balls of steel....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  21. Apr 16, 2006 #20
    Wow. Nice site, great pictures!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?