1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Driven Harmonic Oscillator

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to follow through a derivation involving the equation of motion for the displacement x(t) of a damped driven harmonic oscillator.

[tex]m\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}+\gamma x + \beta \frac{dx}{dt}=F_{0}cos(\omega t)[/tex]

Where
    [tex]cos(\omega t) = \frac{1}{2}\left( e^{i \omega t} + e^{-i \omega t} \right)[/tex]

Look for a solution of the form [tex]x(t) = X^{+}(\omega)e^{i \omega t} + X^{-}(\omega)e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]

Solve for [tex]X^{-}(\omega)[/tex] and note that [tex]X^{+}(\omega)=(X^{-}(\omega))^{*}[/tex] because x(t) is a real quantity.

Substitute [tex]x(t) = X^{-}(\omega)e^{-i \omega t}[/tex] into the equation of motion:

[tex]mX^{-}(\omega)(-\omega^{2})e^{-i \omega t} + \gamma X^{-}(\omega)e^{-i \omega t} - i\omega\beta X^{-}(\omega)e^{-i \omega t} = \frac{F_{0}}{2}e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]

I understand the crux of the derivation however I'm not sure where the [tex]\frac{1}{2} e^{i \omega t}[/tex] has gone from the cosine term. The negative exponent has cancelled, but the positive just seems to have disappeared. Could anyone help!? Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?