Damped harmonic motion problem

In summary: It is the amplitude curve that is decaying exponentially.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in damped harmonic motion, where the equation for displacement is given as y = 5e^-0.25t sin (0.5πt) (m, s). The question asks for the deviation at a time when the amplitude has dropped to 1/5 of the original value. The participants discuss the meaning of deviation and determine that it refers to the value of y. They also discuss the need to determine the time t0 when the amplitude drops from 5 to 1, and then calculate y(t0). The conversation also includes a discussion on using LaTeX for mathematical equations and clarifies the unit of measurement for displacement in
meher4real
Homework Statement
Determine the deviation at a time when the amplitude has
dropped to 1/5 of the original value.
Relevant Equations
A=A0 e^-bt
Hi !
Problem :
y = 5 e^-0.25t sin (0.5.t) (m, s). Determine the deviation at a time when the amplitude has
dropped to 1/5 of the original value.
I tried with A=A0 e^-bt=5 e^-0.25t
- Do i need to determine the time here or recreate the deviation equation when A decreased ? I don't understand the meaning of the question .

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I know french is your mother language, I think you translated wrong the term deviation. I think the problem wants the moment in time where the amplitude has drop from 5 to 1.

what is the original value of the amplitude?
What is the value of amplitude after time t?

Ah on second thought by deviation you might mean the value of y. Then you first have to determine the time ##t_0## that the amplitude drops from 5 to 1, and then find ##y(t_0)##.

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics
hehe I'm mixing french with english what gives a masterpiece.
Sorry for the late response, I'm tired cause of no sleep, i'll be back in 8hours from now to work on it.

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Ah on second thought by deviation you might mean the value of y. Then you first have to determine the time ##t_0## that the amplitude drops from 5 to 1, and then find ##y(t_0)##.
Hi !
You mean that i need to determine the value of t0 from the equation
A=A0 e^-bt0
and then calculate y(t0) ?

meher4real said:
Hi !
You mean that i need to determine the value of t0 from the equation
A=A0 e^-bt0
and then calculate y(t0) ?
It would help a lot if you could start to learn how to post mathematical equations using LaTeX instead of using just the keyboard to try to write equations. There is a helpful "LaTeX Guide" link just below the Edit box that will get you started.

For example, what you wrote above would look like this (I think, assuming that I'm interpreting what you wrote correctly):
$$A(t) = A_0 e^{b_0 t}$$
and then you calculate ##y(t_0)##?

Also, I'm confused by the title of the thread referring to "damped harmonic motion", but I don't see any oscillating term in your equations. Can you clarify that? Thanks.

Likes meher4real
The problem is from damped harmonic motion course.
I'll learn how to do it, thank you
this is my results A(t)=A0e^{-0.25t} => 1=5e^{-0.25t} then t=6.43s
yf=5e^{-0.25t}sin(0.5\pi t)
yf=0.17ms-1

meher4real said:
this is my results A(t)=A0e^{-0.25t} => 1=5e^{-0.25t} then t=6.43s
yf=5e^{-0.25t}sin(0.5\pi t)
yf=0.17ms-1
I think the English word you need is 'displacement' (not 'deviation').

For t, you have a rounding error. What is 6.43775 rounded to 3 significant figures?

I disagree with your answer (value and unit!) for displacement:
##y(6.43775) = 1 sin(0.5 \pi \times 6.43775) = [##not ##0.17## and not ##ms^{-1}##].

I think you have made two mistakes:
a) forgotten to switch your calculator from degree to radians
b) incorrectly rounded the incorrect answer! (0.17558 rounded to 2 significant figures is 0.18, not 0.17).

• Love
Likes Delta2, berkeman and meher4real
Thank you for your detailed response.
so t=6.438s.
then y(6.438)=0.18 Rad

meher4real said:
Thank you for your detailed response.
so t=6.438s.
then y(6.438)=0.18 Rad
No.

From Post #1, y is a displacement measured in metres. For example y could be the height of a mass bouncing up and down on a spring, with y=0 the equilibrium height. Positive values of y are above the equilibrium position; negative values of y are below the equilibrium position. So y is a value in metres, not radians.

Note that ##0.5 \times \pi \times 6.43775 = 10.112##. This is a value in radians.

When you work out sin(10.112) you must make sure your calculator is set to radians. You are not working out sin(10.112º).

The value of sine itself has no units. When you multiply the amplitude (1m) by sin(10.112), the answer must be in metres.

• Informative
Likes meher4real
You the man, thank you.

The concept of amplitude in a decaying oscillation is somewhat theoretical. You can only observe the amplitude at the peaks and troughs of the sine function.
Note that they are not the same as the peaks and troughs in the displacement. If you plot the amplitude curve and displacement curve together the amplitude curve does not pass through the peaks of displacement. Rather it touches the displacement curve, tangentially, a little after each peak displacement.

• Informative
Likes Steve4Physics, berkeman and meher4real

1. What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force.

2. What causes damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is caused by the presence of a damping force, which can be due to factors such as friction, air resistance, or viscous drag.

3. How is damped harmonic motion different from simple harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion differs from simple harmonic motion in that the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time in damped motion, while it remains constant in simple harmonic motion.

4. How is damped harmonic motion described mathematically?

Damped harmonic motion can be described mathematically using the equation x(t) = Ae^(-bt)cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the initial amplitude, b is the damping constant, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

5. What are some real-life examples of damped harmonic motion?

Some examples of damped harmonic motion in real-life include the motion of a pendulum with air resistance, the motion of a car's suspension system, and the motion of a spring attached to a mass in a viscous fluid.