1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped harmonic motion

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9091/53337497.th.jpg [Broken]

Can someone please help me with the problem above? I am unable to start it. Clearly, using the constant acceleration "suvat" equations, 0.5ft^2 is the distance obtainined, however I am unable to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you are able to do part (a), then. At any moment, t, the force on the particle is man2 times the extension of the spring. That is y and, using (a), [itex]y=(1/2)ft^2-x[/itex].

[tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= man^2((1/2)ft^2- x)[/tex]

Are you sure about "modulus of elasticity man2"? That "a" doesn't seem to fit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    For the tension, you forgot to divide by the natural length = a, and hence the a seems to fit! Thanks alot for the help though, it makes sense now! How would I do the last part of finding the maximum tension in the spring?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  5. Jun 12, 2009 #4
    Could anyone please help with the last part of the question please?

Thanks

6. Jun 12, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The tension is maximum when the string's extension is at a maximum. You have an expression for the displacement. How do you find the maximum of this function?

7. Jun 13, 2009 #6
    Would I say y = 0.5ft^2 - (particular solution of the equation), and then find when dy/dt = 0, to find the time at which y is a max, and then subv this time back in, to find ymax, and then use the tension equation?

Thanks

8. Jun 13, 2009 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Sounds like a good idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook