1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped harmonic oscillator

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The displacement amplitude of a lightly damped oscillator with m=0.250kg and k=6400N/m is observed to decrease by 15% in exactly five minutes
    a) Calculate the fraction (in%0 of the initial mechanical energy of the oscillator that has been converted to other forms of energy (such as thermal energy) in the five-minute interval.
    b)Calculate the Q value of this damped oscillator by first calculation omega initial and gama

2. Relevant equations
    omega initial = sqrt(k/m)
    gama = b/m
    x = A initial exp^(gama t/2)
    TE = 1/2kA initial exp^(-gamat)
    A(t) = A inital exp^(bt/2m)
    T = 2pisqrt(m/k)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated omega inital = 160rads and the period to be .04s. I know there is the relationship between the displacement amplitude and the total energy but I cannot seem to figure out how to relate them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2
    At maximum displacement, what are the kinetic and potential energies of the oscillator?

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    At maximum displacement, the kinetic energy should be zero. Should I be able to solve for the potential energy? I am so confused as to how to approach this. I know I have been given enough info but I feel like I don't have enough to find any additional values.

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4
    So at maximum displacement the entire energy is the potential energy. What is the potential energy of a spring?

6. Sep 18, 2012 #5
    1/2ka^2. How do i find this without being given a?

7. Sep 18, 2012 #6
    What is a? What is amplitude?

8. Sep 18, 2012 #7
    Ok, so I finally figured out I can find the % of TE in relation to the % of A lost. Which I can also use to find b which I can then use to find Q.
    A=Ainital exp^bt/2m where A/Ainital will equal .85 then the only unknown is b.
    And TE goes as A^2 so if A is 85% then TE is .85^2 or ~72%

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook