1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped ocillator LCR circuit

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Damped oscillator.PNG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part (a) i did the following;
    the time for it to decay to 40% is half the period of the square wave = 0.00002 seconds
    So, 0.4qm = qm ## e^(\frac{-0.00002R}{2L})cos(25000*2*\pi*0.00002) ##
    But the cosine term yields -1 which then makes the equation unsolvable, what am i doing wrong?

For part (b) im a bit confused about the "17 ringing cylcles per half-cycle" but i tried ;

the time for one half oscillation of the square wave voltage is 0.5/(25E3) = 0.00002 seconds
    during this time the LCR circuit rings 17 times so the period of oscillation of the LCR circuit is 0.00002/17 = 0.000001176
    this corresponds to an angular freq of w = 5340707.511 rad.s^-1
    Is this correct so far? and if so, does this mean there will be a different restance in part (b) than in part (a)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Don't involve the cosine. For the decay all we are concerned with is the exponential envelope.

4. Oct 10, 2014 #3
    Thank you, I should have realised that.
    Do you know if what i did for part (b) is correct?

5. Oct 10, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Your ##\mathrm{\omega}## looks right. You cannot estimate R from ##\textrm{ω}## because you don't know ##\mathbf{ω}## to the great precision necessary. The exponential decay is what allows you to determine R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted