Small Damping Forces: Fd << Fr

In summary, small damping refers to the condition where b/√(k*m) is much less than 1. This ratio is chosen because it determines the strength of b's effect on the behavior of the system, as seen in the equation ω=√(k/m - b^2/4m^2). Despite the exponential decrease of x(t), ω remains constant in a damped oscillation.
Shreya
Homework Statement
In my text, it is written that small damping means that b/√(k*m) is much less than 1

My question is , Why is this particular ratio chosen?
Please be kind to answer.
Relevant Equations
F (damping)=-bv
F(restoring)= -kx
w =√(k/m - b^2/4m^2)
My first intuition is that for small damping Fd<<Fr

Physics news on Phys.org
Shreya said:
Homework Statement:: In my text, it is written that small damping means that b/√(k*m) is much less than 1My question is , Why is this particular ratio chosen?
Please be kind to answer.
Relevant Equations:: F (damping)=-bv
F(restoring)= -kx
w =√(k/m - b/4m^2)

My first intuition is that for small damping Fd<<Fr
You mean w =√(k/m - b^2/4m^2), right?

The interesting question in regards to the behaviour is whether b much affects w.
Writing ##\omega=\sqrt{\frac km(1-\frac {b^2}{4km}})##, we can see that the strength of b's effect depends on ##\frac {b^2}{4km}##.

Likes Shreya
haruspex said:
You mean w =√(k/m - b^2/4m^2), right?
Yes, that was a typo, I have edited it.
haruspex said:
The interesting question in regards to the behaviour is whether b much affects w.
Writing ω=km(1−b24km), we can see that the strength of b's effect depends on
I understand now, Thanks a lot! 🙏
By the way, even though x(t) decreases exponentially, w is constant (with its new value) even in a damped oscillation, right?

Shreya said:
By the way, even though x(t) decreases exponentially, w is constant (with its new value) even in a damped oscillation, right?
Yes.

Likes Shreya

What is a small damping force?

A small damping force is a force that opposes the motion of an object but is much smaller than the restoring force of the object. It is typically represented by the symbol Fd.

What is the significance of Fd << Fr?

When Fd << Fr, it means that the damping force is significantly smaller than the restoring force. This indicates that the object will experience minimal resistance to its motion, allowing it to oscillate freely.

How does a small damping force affect an object's motion?

A small damping force allows an object to maintain its natural frequency of oscillation. This means that the object will continue to oscillate with minimal energy loss, resulting in sustained motion.

Can a small damping force cause an object to oscillate indefinitely?

No, a small damping force cannot cause an object to oscillate indefinitely. Eventually, the object will lose energy due to the small amount of damping and come to rest.

What are some examples of systems that exhibit small damping forces?

Some examples of systems that exhibit small damping forces include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, and a tuning fork. These systems are able to oscillate freely due to the small amount of damping present.